Evening Hill 07 01 2010

Zzippy

Well after the slight snow fall we had on the Wednesday I decided it wouldn't put me off my Flounder Fishing on the Thursday.

I thought the best bet would be to seek shelter from the Northerly wind under Evening Hill.

Wanted to launch at 8.30am but the longer than normal journey because of the icy roads saw me launching closer to 9.30 :smile.gif.

Got to the car park and looked across the Harbor.Looks like I was the only mad Person venturing out that day.

Within minutes a car with a kayak on its roof turned up.It wasn't anybody I recognized.After a chat I found out it was a new member to Anglers Afloat(James)Jim!.It was his maiden voyage on his new kayak.We were soon joined by another new member,Lee(JustLee).He had only come down to see his mate/Fishing partner James and to see how I rigged my kayak.

Car park frozen solid

user posted image

James's Kayak(perception scooter)

user posted image

After chatting for a good half hour we got on the water and decided to fish along the breakwater of Saltans Marina as the wind was coming more from the N/W.

I must say that James really enjoyed the day,although he is new to kayaking it didn't take him long to master paddling and knowing where his tipping point was wink.gif ;D.Thought it would be safer staying in the shallows(3.2 feet of water) as it was his first trip.

Getting used to his Kayak

user posted image

user posted image

Snow covered hills of the purbecks

user posted image

It was that cold even the shore anglers stayed at home.The Top flounder mark was deserted

user posted image

LuckyRich passed by and took a few photos.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Now thats the pictures out the way lets get on to the catch report.

Not alot to report really.No Crabs,No small Bass,No Flounders and No Bites.Even the Rag worms were frozen solid.

We did see one nice Flounder caught By a Heron Gull.I tried getting close to it for a photo as it was sat on the pipe trying to eat it,but it flew off with the flounder in its beak before I could get my camera out.

The only time I felt the cold was when we were packing up and got my drysuit off.

It was just nice to get out.But will have to wait till next week now to try and get my first fish of the year for the year long species comp smile.gif

Nice report Mark.

Two of us fished from the shore at Evening Hill ("The Top Flounder Mark" in your photos) from about 10:30 to 14:00 on Friday. Two rods each, so a total of eight hooks and not a single bite, the worms all came back intact.

Great report Mark. Are you into whips & self mutilation as well!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifunsure.gif Derek

Only when not out fishing Derek biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Thanks for the comments everyone smile.gif

Once we were kitted up and out there it wasnt cold at all.It was just when we got back on land we felt the cold.That even happens in the spring/summer.

I did have a base layer on,then a thermal layer followed by a rollneck ski jumper then my Fleece then Drysuit and on top of that I had my PFD with my fishing smock on top Plus Gortex paddle trousers on top of the drysuit leggings and to keep my feet warm I had Skeetex boots and one of those Russian Hats to keep my head warm biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif .

So that was 6 layers on my top half.

Thank god it was only a short paddle out to where we wanted to fish otherwise I would have got too hot.