Re-propped

Maverick Martin

A few of you may know that we were thinking of getting a 4 bladed prop WOW what a difference

I always thought (although beautiful to look at) this boat was a bit of a slouch but not anymore.

Fitted the new prop on Saturday and that was scary. Wind was howling through all the boat rigging especially that of the rag and stick brigade, the noise was almost deafening. Any how no mishaps with the work being completed in about 20 mins.

Entered Andy's flounder comp on Sunday (today) so had the boat launched early doors to kill two birds with one stone ie fish comp and sea trials.

First off we noticed that at close quarter manoeuvring there was more control especially in reverse. She also went from her normal self which is slowly build up a head of steam then after mounting the hump and flying off to going straight through the hump and on the plane with not much noticeable pause for thought. Mid range the boat was superb, acceleration was instant and smooth. Top end rather than lose a knot or two we actually had an increase in speed. She will now do 32knots flat out with no tide, cruises at 20 knots for 3000 rpm no tide. One thing that is also pleasing is that we can now cruise at lower speeds ie 14/15knots without the boat falling off the plane or lurching forward. Maximum revs achieved has gone from 4000rpm to 4200rpm so with the maximum rate rpm being 4500 there is still room for a little tweaking. Tom at Propeller Solutions has offered to re pitch the new prop if needed as a freebie kind of PBSBAC deal (bought the prop from him) but for now I will just suck it and see, maybe making a decision whether to loose an inch of pitch to give us 4300 rpm at a later date.

So overall the boat performs better in every department and to say I am pleased would be an understatement.

If you think your boat is not performing as it should and you have eliminated problems with the engine then do consider getting appropriate help in propping your boat properly. i wish i had done so 2 years ago when I first purchased the boat. Its unbelievable what a difference such a small piece of kit can make

A very chuffed Martin

BTW we didn't catch a single flounder but had several checker to 2lb but then we were also playing around rather a lot laugh.gif

Well done both it sounds like money well spent

I am not surprised that Martin struggled in the flounder comp, he probably spent most of it blasting around the harbour tongue.gif

Just goes to show how important the prop sizing can be, I would not be surprised if your fuel consumption also got better.

Charlie biggrin.gif