Needles Trip 13/10/09

Overrun

Nearly a year since the last visit, fancied my chances for an early Cod at the 'carpark'. Launched opposite the Keyhaven Yacht Club slipway after parking near the footpath. Phoned in paddle plan to Solent Coastguard, out with the ebb to a point 1 nautical mile south of the Needles, return before dusk on the flood. Coastguard advised reconsidering destination as unexploded ordnance on the seabed huh.gif , approx. 2.5 miles south of the Needles, said I'd keep close-in to the Needles.

Beautiful morning, hardly a breath, ideal conditions for paddling, rounded Hurst Castle and onto the conveyor that is the Solent. S

Edited by Overrun

Thanks for your kind comments. A good trip to post as appears more technical than it actually is given proper planning and conditions.

Sadly, the time on the mark is limited by the use of the tides to get to and from, also probably not the best time to be there from a fishing perspective(?).

I think you work the tides very well, and deserve more luck for your endeavours, but rather you than me across Hurst Narrows at 3knots boat speed. We have to plan carefully for tides as well, and your speed and range can more than double when you get it right.

Great pictures, unlucky with the fishing, but I can imagine the fun if you got a decent cod on board!!!!

Best of luck, and keep at it!

Mike