Hydrofoil

Newboy

Do they work or are they gimmick?

I can only speak from my personal experiance but as far as I am concerned they do work and bloody well too. However I think that on a say 20ft semi displacement boat there would be no differance. In fact it may even slow it down. But on up to 18 ft planing hull everything said is true. Quicker on the plane, more positive steering, and lower throttle setting at economical cruising speed.

If you go for one and are not in a rush keep an eye on ebay the going price is about

I bought a set from Martin in the boat jumble. I was going to put them on when the marine guy who did my engine said he didn't think much of them, his word:'I'm sure if outboards are meant to have them, manufacturers will put them on in the factories....' unsure.gif

I bought a set from Martin in the boat jumble. I was going to put them on when the marine guy who did my engine said he didn't think much of them, his word:'I'm sure if outboards are meant to have them, manufacturers will put them on in the factories....' unsure.gif

If one followed that logic through why would people put alloy wheels on cars, get tinted glass windscreens, add power enhancing chips to engine management systems added to thier Saxo basics? The answer is obvious. The manufacturers make DOWN to a price not UP to a high initial specification and consumer cost.

It's odd that one comes across this attitude so much with motor (all types) engineers. If they weren't taught it as an apprentice it can't be any good.

Mad Mike

They worked for me on my old hardy which had a 50hp ob. Better steering/control the only down side I found was that a reduction in my top end by one or two knots.

So imo they do work but are not a substitute for having the correct size engine in the first place, as is claimed by some fin manufacturers

Martin

Hi Guys

I had a set on my Seahog Hunter with a 40hp outboard

Went very well, got on the plane quickly but found the prop cavitated in turns when there was a bit of a swell. dry.gif

It might have been me as I did not have powered trim.

Been thinking about a set on the Warrior 165 but read somewhere hat Warrior did not recomend them on high powered versions as it could become unstable at high speed sick.gif

Do get the correct size for the engine if you do get a set.

Coddy

cool.gif

Clearly they add drag and that is the primary reason that manufacturers don't put them on!

The second is the inconsistent impact they have on different craft/engines.

They can improve everything, even perversly top speed!, in certain situations/combinations but equally can do nothing but degrade performance and add unstability in others.

I would recomend you try them in controlled conditions and with care and be prepared to remove them and fill the holes (isopon mettalic filler, prim, paint etc) if they don't improve things for you.

I have them on my Suzuki 4 stroke on an Alaska 500 (16.5 ft).

Definitely made a big difference for me. The effects I found were:

1- quicker onto the plane, especially if you are fully loaded.

2- broader range on the engine trim, allowing you more control of the height of the bow in the water. This is very useful if you've got a lot of weight in the stern that you need to compensate for (e.g. a tub full of water for your live bait well, or those 30lb cod you're bringing home).

3- Gives a much smoother ride in heavier seas. Again, because you have more trim adjustment.

On the down side, you do loose 1 or 2 knots at the top end, but that's not a big deal.

BUT, IMOA you have to have powered tilt and trim on your engine for them to have any real benefit. If you don't have powered T&T don't bother fitting wings.

Bob F.