What Auxiliary

Sole Man

Hi John,

A good question.

A lot depends on what you do, where you go, and how you use your boat.

Assuming you only go a few miles out in fair to settled weather, and your needs include the following:

- iinsurance to get you home without a lifeboat call out

- one that uses the same fuel or fuel mix as your main engine (saves on a separate tank etc.)

- one that can use the same fuel tank connector

- one with enough power to let you trundle home at a sedate 4-5 knots or so, sufficient to get good steerage in Poole entrance, for example with tide

- one that could be used for trolling for mackerel and bass at 3 knots without sooting up your main engine...and economically

- one that can live on a separate bracket, and can get a prop low enough to drive you home in a bit of a chop

- one with a reverse gear to help "park" when you get back

Seems quite a lot to ask for, but something 4-5 HP should meet many of those needs. I don't know current models well.

I've moved over 4 ton of boat with a 2 hp outboard before - slowly admittedly at just over 3 knots, but in settled weather it can be done.

Wonder what others would suggest?

Mike

Edited by Mike Fox

I had a 4HP once & I know that it would be more than adequate. I would use a separate fuel tank though thus eliminating any fuel problems from your main engines. I have had `tank` problems in the past & have got round it by the fact that I have two 22 litre tanks plus two small back ups which I use to top up if necessary.

Freddie.

Always good to carry an Auxillary

but if it is not going to let you down when you need it most it needs to be kept at 100%

Infrequant use of any outboard, especially one with its own tank and stale fuel is not the best way to ensure it works when you need it. if the fuel gets old mix it in your main tanks or the car and put fresh in the auxillary tank.

My advice use it occasionally on a tender or to slowly move the big boat when feathering, it will certainly help.

Also carry spare plug, spanner and starter cord for the small enging, these tend to be the first things that go on small engines.

Charlie biggrin.gif

I have a 4HP Suziki on my Warrior 165.

I had to use it once in the Entrance to Poole Harbour. It barely beat the current and got me to the safety of Brownsea Island.

Your boat is smaller and lighter, so I would think a 4 or 5 HP would be best bet.

Also last year's Winter " Flatty Comp " I thought " I'm only going in the harbour - I wont need it "

Guess what ?

Battery failiure.

Always carry it ! ! !

Jim