How much petrol do you carry?

Newboy

Is a 23l tank big enough for most trips?

The answer is yes but there are some 'BUTs'.

#1 Swaping a fuel lead at sea is easy but pouring fuel from a reserve can into your main tank at sea is difficult and can lead to spillage. As fuel vapour is heavier than air the explosive mixture can stay in the bilges untill ignited by a cigarette spark or whatever.

#2 If one runs out it is ALWAYS at a critical moment biggrin.gif

So the best/safest option is to have 2 tanks/two leads and rotate the fuel feed from one to the other so that the fuel in the 'reserve tank' is never more than a few weeks old.

#3 there is another reason to carry a spare.......... If a boating buddy runs out you can always sell him your spare fuel for a HIGHLY extortionate price laugh.giflaugh.gif

Mad Mike

Hi all

Just got back from holiday, 2 weeks in the sun biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Same I could not take the boat on the plane with me as it was perfickt area in Crete to launch and recover.

Anyway to the question I ALWAYS carry x3 gall tanks, I have a 60hp 4 stroke and average a tank every 20 to 25miles depending of sea state and speed.

Use to have only two tanks on another boat but it was a 40hp 2 stroke and did about same distance but was slower and boat had a diferant hull against the Warrior.

I keep a record of miles travelled on every trip and amount used, it is working out approx 0.80 to 0.90ltrs per mile

Always carry more than you need as the old adage says 1/3 to the mark, 1/3 for the return leaves 1/3 spare in an emergency.

My thoughts anyway unsure.gif

Regards

Coddy

cool.gif

Anyway to the question I ALWAYS carry x3 gall tanks, I have a 60hp 4 stroke and average a tank every 20 to 25miles depending of sea state and speed.

Always carry more than you need as the old adage says 1/3 to the mark, 1/3 for the return leaves 1/3 spare in an emergency.

That should have been x3 5gallon tanks

Too much sun has got to me laugh.gif

Coddy

cool.gif

Interesting question as I have also often pondered how much fuel to carry.

I have a 25 litre ( 5 gallon ) tank and carry two 1 gallon containers of fuel for "emergencies".

To date the most I have used 3 1/2 gallons from Lymington over to Hurst then up to Cowes across the Solent to Beaulieu river and then back down to Lymington.

or as another guide, just checked my tank and has around 1 gallon left ( ie. 4 gallons used ) from the trip out on Sunday : Wick to Xray -> XChurch ledge -> Barton -> Hengisbury -> Wick in heavy seas so not bad at all I think.

So the Orkney may be slow but it is extremely frugal - I think ( Honda 30HP 4 stroke ) and there was me thining I had burnt a lot of fuel !!

I do as Mike suggested - I carry 2 x 5 gallon tanks, which get rotated as I use them - always fresh fuel.

If Im going offshore or a long trip, I take another 5 as a researve. As an idea - Poole around to the tope grounds to the west and back home with plenty of re-anchoring and drifting in big tides will use my 10 gallons.

I would suggest you need at least another 5g tank.

and ........... at the other extreme............

I have a TWO gallon tank ...... have never used more than 1/2 on any trip [including trip to Shambles, which involved lots of moving back uptide after drift]

with my 4 stroke Yamaha 15; sometimes leave it ticking over continuously

but......... little boats don't like waves and get cramped if you've company

rapid in /out often suits me !! ..... and it's cheap but still gets plenty of sport/ dinners!!

Alun.

Newboy,....you may find the tanks closer to home...on the pbsbac stool even!!!

I have 2 x 5G tanks Im flogging at the jumble....mind you they are in good nick, but are metal affairs - may not look slick enough on your new boat!..thats why i changed them to nice new plastic mariner ones.....

I have 2 x 5G tanks Im flogging at the jumble....mind you they are in good nick, but are metal affairs - may not look slick enough on your new boat!..thats why i changed them to nice new plastic mariner ones.....

Yeh, check 'em for leaks though. Just drop a lighted match in and any flames coming out will show the leaks rolleyes.gif

Mad Mike blink.gif

Yeh, check 'em for leaks though. Just drop a lighted match in and any flames coming out will show the leaks rolleyes.gif

Mad Mike blink.gif

You hold the tanks and I'll hold the match...... rolleyes.gif