Prop size

kaptin kod

I have a warrior 165 with a 3 year old 60hp Mariner which i have had from new, the engine did not come fitted with the boat, now a lot of people have suggested that the prop seems to be quite small, however i am hitting 25knots at around the 7000 rev range, dose anyone know what the correct size should be.

many thanks

Paul

I too have a Warrior 165

With an E-Tec 75

I seem to get 32 MPH Flat out ( GPS Speed ) at just over 400 RPM ( 4000 )

Maybe my Prop's a bit big, or wrong pitch.

I think they should be about 5000 RPM flat out.

Jim

Edited by Small Fry

I too have a Warrior 165

With an E-Tec 75

I seem to get 32 MPH Flat out ( GPS Speed ) at just over 400 RPM

Jim

i think my rev counter is playing up, engine manual says limiter should cut out engine above 5700 revs.

if you are getting close to the engines max revs when the throttle is wide open and you have getting towards your 'light loading' ie the lighter end of your normal loading ic fuel, then whatever you have is doing it's job.

if you are getting within 10% of max revs (but no more than max revs) I wouldn't change it

if you are getting over 10% less it's worth considering in more detail.

overall I would have thought that 7000rpm is a little above the maximum rating for that engine - but I can't find the spec on the web anywhere right now.....

off the top of my head I would have said 6000, with a 5500-6000 target range as above but it's only a guess

I have a Warrior 165 with a Mariner 60 EFI 4 stroke

Wide open throttle 6000 rpm = 27knots GPS speed

Cruises at 5000 rpm = 22 knots

I have a 4 bladed stainless steel prop recomended by warrior and Barrus (Mariner)

Mercury 4 Blade Stainless Steel Propeller part No. 48-878612A40

Not cheap though i got mine whilst on holiday in the states last year good exchange rate

Talk to paul at Warrior he had some back in jan

The original prop that came with the engine was a 10 Diameter 13 pitch although this was never fitted so i dont know how it performs.

Mick B

Edited by Barney

I too have a Warrior 165

With an E-Tec 75

Jim

Jim

According to the book the Etec 75 has a full throttle operating range of 4,500 to 5,500. So you're a bit low.

Edited by Brian

I too have a Warrior 165

With an E-Tec 75

Jim

Jim,

As stated, WOT range for the 75hp e-tec is 4500-5500rpm. The earlier e-tecs came with a 17" semi-race prop pattern which put a 165 squarely into the middle of the rev range. The later pattern 17" prop (circa 2006 onwards) gave me 4100 max rpm under perfect conditions. Warrior reckoned the low rpm would afford good fuel economy and not bother the engine, all other sources said it would strain the drivetrain in the long-term

I did find (late 2007) the older style Evinrude props still for sale but they were more expensive than a simple Solas 15" prop which gives me 5200rpm WOT. Top speed on the 17" prop about 30 knots, on the faster spinning 15" prop 28-29knots.

You takes your choice. Your current prop is actually faster on top speed than the 15" and may be more fuel-efficient cruising, but may also be argued to be accelerating engine wear and possibly negates the warranty (??). The 15" puts it all right, at about

I did find (late 2007) the older style Evinrude props still for sale but they were more expensive than a simple Solas 15" prop which gives me 5200rpm WOT. Top speed on the 17" prop about 30 knots, on the faster spinning 15" prop 28-29knots.

We've a mixture of units here, Jim is actually slower than the 15" prop, he's getting 30mph which is 26knots.

Thanks for all the input gentlemen.

I have an E-tec book too but I can't read - - - - or too lazy to read it.

Does this mean that you've ordered a Warrior then Brian ?

As for wear on the gearbox, the 75 is the same as the 90 so I expect it's built to handle the load.

I am very pleased with it so I'll leave it alone.

Cheers

Jim