there she blows

munterhunter

Fished sunday with Nick, drifted old harry for maccy then fished 200 yds of old harry/ballard was slow fishing with a couple of smuts to 6 1/2lb (great fun on spinning rod and 2oz of lead!) nothing on fish baits.

Notice a black fin meandering about @150 yds from us moving downtide @1knot and coming out and going back under slowly was not a dolphin/pourpoise so asume a whale/shark(wishfull thinking, although was livebaiting a mackerel at the time). was narrowish and more rectangular than fin(triangular) shape.

Then we fished evans rock a couple more smuts to 5lb 2oz and a few bream to 1 1/2lb nothing on fish baits again not even doggies! Nick wasnt 100% so we came in just as the evening was getter flatter and flatter.

Wassa 'Smut' ?

Thr shark was almost certainly a Basking shark. They are very common along the SW coast and appear when the water temperature rises. Hence the 'basking' in the sun bit. They are plankton feeders and slowly swim along with their mouths open filtering food through a sort of mesh infront of their gills. Suprisingly for a feeder on the smallest things in the sea, they can grow to 30ft long. They are totaly harmless, if you fell in ones mouth it has no teeth to bite with.

Mad Mike

I had one (basking shark) cruise past my boat, about 6'-8' away, in crystal clear water, while drifting just outside The Bar at Salcombe/Kingsbridge estuary a couple of years ago.

I realised what is was but it still made the heart beat a little faster unsure.gif having something that big swim by so close. It was a probably 2'-3' longer than my boat(15' - Warrior 150).

we met one whilst about 3 miles of Hope Cove in a mirror with a seagull on the back - we thought we knew what it was but (I am ashamed to say) didn't hang around to check!

They are big, and relative to a mirror they are *****y big!!!

Hells

Your will see Dolphins off the Dorset coast sometime, Dolphins especially are spotted regularly of Poole and Swanage, in fact I believe there is a resident pod along our part of the coast. According to the Durlston Marine watch oct/nov/dec are the best times to see Dolphins, however I have only seen them in the summer months

Last time I saw them was the week before we went to Alderney they were off of Durlston swimming towards Swanage Bay

Martin