Speed

Jim

I don't know if anyone else has heard this, but there is a rumour going about that the new Harbour Master would like to keep the summer speed restriction in place for the whole year.

Certainly there is no change for this winter and from 1st October until 31st March the restriction is removed for all areas apart from the 'quiet areas' and, believe it or not, the main channel where, I understand, the 10 knot limit still applies. Whether anyone enforces a winter 10 knot limit in the main channel I do not know, but I have my doubts.

Mike

Mike

By "Main Channel" do you mean Middle Ship Channel? If so the restriction is relaxed during the winter.

From PHC.

"The Speed limit of 10 knots is applicable throughout the year, but is relaxed in the Wareham Channel, Middle Ship and North Channels only between 1 October and 31 March".

When you speak to the PHC staff they talk about the main channel still being 10 knots max in winter. I take it that they mean where the channels meet and through the Haven area. As I said before, I cannot see that being enforced but presume they are trying to restrict the speed at the busiest point.

Mike