Live Sandeels

Adam F

I know this one pops up every summer!....

But anyone know a reliable source of eels at the moment? I really fancy trying over towards the IOW with live eels for the bass.

Also, I dont have a libe bait well...what is my best method for transporting them, and then keeping them alive once one the boat? A temporary solution would be good as I am unlikely to use an expensive pump unit on a regulat basis.

Or, is it really worth the hastle?

When I was a lad and we lived in Fowey (Cornwall) for a time. The method the local bass fishermen used was an old barrel with a small bung/. The barrel was filled with sea water and the bung removed. As the water slowly trickled out the water level needed topping up every 10 or 15 min'. This constant refreshment of sea water kept the supply of live sandels going all day.

This was in the 50's mind and we didn't have all the electric gubbins that is available today.

Mad Mike

Allan Marine in Portsmouth (2 mins off the end of motorway from your end) does live sandeels. However, I've heard the one in Gosport does it from time to time, but I can't remember their name. The up side is that there are lots of slipsway you can launch your boat from.

If you want to keep them alive for a few hours, all you need is a large bucket with a tie fitting lid with a hole drilled in, plus a cheapy battery operated air pump. The lid is required when you roar off in your boat, the water will splash out. All you do is put the tube thru the hole and hey presto it reduces the spill.

You can get the cheappy pump from e bay for about

Adam, its worth investing in a better airstone, see if James can reccomend one, as its the higher O2 level in the water that keeps em alive alive,O.

If you have a deck wash, you can wang a hozelock fitting on the business end, and attatch a hose supplying sea water into a small barrel, then fit an over flow into the sea, it works for us!!!

If you want me to nip down to Pompey and grab some eels for you, you can meet me half way, at Rownhams, and grab em off me, save you as bit of time, just give me a bell

Rich

water temperature is the most important thing we have kept them alive all day in a wet towel but in water a small rise in the rtemp of the water they drop like flies, with airstones the bubbles actualy cool the water as much as anything so keep em cool

Ive had a few discussions...and I am thinking of the following..

1x big blue vat, like the charter boys use. Buying a bigle pump and attaching to the side of the vat. Plumbing into my existing bilge, so that I can get the old water out, and just hanging the intake over the side.

This way I can take on and off the livebait well as I need it.

What do you think?

Hi Adam

I would not connect anything to the boat bildge pump, leave this well alone in case you have any ptoblems with coming into the boat.

This is a safety issue! ohmy.gif

As you suggest pump water in using something like a "Whale pump" which will suck up sea water from outside the boat and have an overflow outlet with a hose to over the side of the boat. Don't forget to fit a filter over the overflow to stop the eels escaping, use an old pair of stocking/tights to act as a filter. (where you get these from I wil not go into unsure.gifunsure.gif )

Why are you not using the fish wells fitted into the Warrior?

Regards

Coddy

cool.gif

Hi Coddy! - Was reading your report on the IAC pages earlier, is Sammy your boat?

Thanks for the input. I will think hard before making any adjustments, after all how often am I likely to use the live pump?

I think the live wells in the warrior are a great idea, but find them a little small, maybe OK for sandeels, but mackeral are a no go.

Adam

Adam I have a cut down blue tank, but have never gone the whole way with a deck wash

I use a cheap 12volt bilge pump with 3/4" discharge pipe

the wires have been extended and connected to a plug, which can use one of several switched sockets on the boat [fitted for this and extra lighting.]

the pump is connected to about 8ft of pipe, the cable is clipped to the pipe, then the end away from the pump is attached around the inside of the top of the tank. It has a bung in the end and several 1/4" holes drilled in it facing down into the tank.

3/4 the way up the tank a skin fitting has been attached tail outside and with a fine mesh over it to keep the eels in, another the same size has been fitted through the hull on the stbd side at a matching height. [these are 1" to give a good flow overboard]

when i want to use the tank, it is moved into place, a short length of hose fitted between the two skin fitting tails. Connect to electric, toss the bilge pump end overboard and turn on. the tank fills with clean sea water up to the overflow

great at anchor and when drifting. if the tide is strong I attach a weight to the pump.

When underway lift the pump onboard and drop it in the tank to recycle the water.

This system is not as good as a deckwash, but has served me for years. Ow Much has a simular set up but has the tank higher and a pipe over the side so does not need the hull skin fitting.

Providing not to much bait is added and it does not get left on recycle for to long the bait will stay alive all day.

I have had live mackeral in it all day as long as no blood goes into the water and no more than about 10 are in it. if they die take them straight out

It works for bass fisherman in the channel islands and for me and is not expensive to set up.

I have matched the pump to the one fitted on the boat so it would make a spare if required and I stow clean gear in the tub at the end of the day to stop it rolling around the boat.

Nice to swap these sort of things on the forum

Tight lines

Charlie biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Yes Adam

"Sammy" is mine! rolleyes.gif

I agree about the size of the live bait wells but I don't think I would allow the water to just drain into the boat!

I use mine for storing normal bait, with a couple of ice packs it keeps it cool, downside is when the squid starts to defrost and I don't clean the boat down well enough ................ phewww!! dry.gifdry.gif

With all you are putting on the boat it must be getting a bit crowded! wink.gif

I am looking forward to next week-end but wind strengh looks c****py! sad.gif

Cod

cool.gif

Adam, as discussed earlier, I have bought a 12v pump, it should arrive this week. I will knock together my version, and bring it over for you to trial. We've used 'em before, and similar to charlies device, they work well..............not sure about using my stockings as a filter wink.gif

Rich