braid to mono

lady jane

I always use a modified Albright knot Andy.

Make a loop in the mono and hold between thumb and forefinger on the right hand.

Thread the braid up through the loop and proceed to wrap it right round the loop 17 times (don't ask why 17, it just works). Keep the wraps reasonably neat.

I tend to use my mouth to wrap the braid around as my hands are busy and it also helps wet the knot which helps it to slide up tight nicely.

After 17 turns take the tag end of braid and put it back through the loop the way it went in to start with (this is very important, the other way will just slip free).

Pull it up gently and help by teasing the 17 loops together if need be.

Once tight, check for slippage with a good pull on the main ends and then trim to within about 1mm.

On my Big Game braid to mono knots I also add a blob of superglue. This is more for confidence than anything as these can have the drag forced up to over 60lb at times. On all my Uk kit, the above works perfectly.

I use the same knot as Tom but loop the braid as well as the leader. I take the braid 9 turns up the mono the get hold of the top of the braid then take a further 6 or 8 turns down over the braid, wet with spit and pull tight. As Tom says it is most important the braid goes through the loop the same way it came in or it will slip.

Martin

Gents, be mindfull that superglue breaks down in saline very quickly, the better typ of glue to be used on sea knots is a two part adhesive like Mitre Mate, although this can brittle up the knot area.

Have faith in your knots, if they are slipping.........you are tying them incorrectly or with line diameters ill matched.

Rich

I've always just thought mine was an Albright knot Charlie.

The only difference is that I wind 17 turns in one direction instead of 10 in one and then 7 back down...

Mine seems to hold well, held my 700lb Blue at the braid to mono knot on the little 50VSX reel (heavier line) I was using and we cranked the drag right up on that when we had touched the leader.

some great stuff appearing on u tube now about knots - sometimes it's difficult to tell what knot is actually being tied as many are how to tie and slight variations on other knots!

braid has bought about a few tweaks here and there too - the additional turn within the loop before and after the wraps on the 'improved' albright being a good example - but beware because some of these tweaks can do more harm than good! to illustrate this consider.......

once upon a time the accepted way to combine braid to nylon was to use 2 uni - knots or grinners, with the number of turns being diameter based in the same way as using the knots for hooks/swivels etc and generally with more turns of braid. this seemed to work well and produced a very neat knot. in fact it's still used for shock leaders but not for joins in lines of similar strength.

the reason itn't to do with diameters ,but strength - where the braid is tightened on a single strand of nylon it cuts into it causing weakess. for a shockleader conection this doesn't matter as the weakness in a 60lb line at the knot is still stronger than the 15-20lb line on the other side of the knot!

as illustrated above the albright has the braid turns tightening around the doubled nylon (and to a degree padded by itself) which is more consistent and reduces the impact of the braid cuttinginto the nylon in the knot strength. Adding the single turns within the loop before the wraps (as illustrated in the video 'improved allbright) would seem to me to add a weakness not strength when using braid to mono for this reason.

having some time on my hands, and still smarting from that lost 'biggy' even though it was component rather than knot failure, I recently re tied all my tope, conger and ray traces and spent a bit of time on heavy nylon knotting - ending up with a completely new knot to me that I am very pleased with. learn new something every year in this area (but it's probably been used by people for centuries.

aren't knots fun!

tongue.giftongue.gif Find the knot at http://www.japantackle.com/sig_knot.htm

This is where you will find it mate. Also called the SIG knot. Instead of a bimini to make the loop, I just use a three turn spider hitch. Much easier and just as strong because the loops in the Sig knot take the bulk of the pressure on the line. Takes 30 secs to tie. Regards, BB cool.gif

Sorry but I dont know how to put a link on site so you will have to copy the site address

Thanks Tom,

Your 17 turn knot is definitely "alright" being simple and easy to tie, so much easier than the one I've been using. I could never remember or tie it without the instructions which I found on the back of a packet of braid, they were more complex than quantum physics.

Gordon H

Video here :-

[doHtml]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/doHtml]

Also noted that if you play the video and select the icon on the bottom right then select the one that pops up above the icon you get a selection of related videos you can scroll through and view - very smart - you live and learn every day smile.gif