1st Blank EVER!!!

Adam F

Well its never happend before, and I hope its not a sign of things to come!! ohmy.gifsad.gif

James and I had planned to do our 1st conger trip of the year tonight.

Tides couldnt have been worse with low being midnight.....Wind was forecast 3-4 SW, iffy.....

I made the decision to stay at home, but James' persuasive skills got the better of me, and at 7pm we put to sea in Tara. I was still convinced that the ledge would be too rough....and I was right! It is the first time - EVER - that I have seen james turn the boat around before we arrived and head back in!

We were greated by a decent 15' swell and wind against tide ohmy.gifsad.gifsad.gif after a thoroughly good soaking we decided it was way too rough - esp. for night fishing.

We had 2 drifts for macky and then came in......

Lesson learnt: 'If you think it is too rough to go out - then it probably is!'

We are due to go out next Tuesday and the forecast is 16-19mph sw, so how bad is it? blink.gif

Look at http://www.planet-stuff.freeserve.co.uk/St.../Wind_Speed.htm

This will show you The Beafort Scale it is used to measure/discribe wind speed.

Force 5 is a very definate NO ohmy.gif NO sick.gif for small boats.

Force 4 is not comfortable at all

But if the wind is off the land you will find the actual wind speed is less within 1/2 a mile of the shore. Also wind WITH the current smooths the waves but wind AGAINST the current makes them REALLY bad sick.gif

One thing that most folk do not understand in relation to wind speed is the relation ship of the wind speed to the pressure that the wind exerts on an objct. Very basicly if wind speed increases by a half the pressure it exerts quadruples.

So a 9mph wind will feel TWICE as strong a 6mpn wind, and an 18mph wind will make the sea really cut up . I accept that the maths might be wrong but it's the principal I am trying to explain smile.gif

Another handy bit of sea law is that 'The wind almost always dies right down about an hour before and after sunset in the summer months'

Mad Mike

That was my hope for last nite, that the wind would die with nite fall, but as we returned to the slip at nine ish ,the wind had seemed to increase!!! mad.gif

Hope its better for tonite im back out after those congers biggrin.gif

The wind is forcast to swing n/nw so should be a lot more pleasent out there....I hope

James

Mikes got some very good advice.

Its always blowing 'old boots' when I've got a free pass so I also have some first hand experience !

When I was a lad, we used to dream of a 5 off the ledge, prefferably S or SW. ...white caps everywhere ! Some of those 'growlers' you could steam down the face of the wave and surf clean onto the back of the next one....wheee !

But then this was dinghy racing..... now I wont fish in a 4/5, and if the foam starts to blow off the tops of the waves, then this means you've probably sunk anyway.

A friend of mine also claims that "bite detection is difficult when the seas too rough" well Bloody Hell !! this has always been the least of my problems !!

imagine holding onto your guts with one hand whilst steering, too ill to pump the floor dry using the bilge, the slosh of an inch of green 'sick and seawater' everytime the boat rolls, followed by the expensive crashing sound of your gear that was on the seats and wasnt tied down ending up on the floor, soaking wet. Then there's the added hazard of everything being wet and slippery filleting knives and fingers, and strings of maccky feathers flying about. The books helpful hint of ''better to push the hook right through your hand then cut the barb off before trying to pull out a deeply embedded hook" has always amused me. I think the only bit they missed off was finishing off the job properly by heating up your knive afterwards using the gas stove until glowing red, and then plunging it into the palm of your hand to seal the wound, just like youve seen Clint Eastwood do on the telly. A what stage you're supposed to pass out with the pain I dont know. I joke of course.

Anyway, I hear a 4 N or NNW off the ledge is OK for the inshore marks as its sheltered by the head, any other direction and its very tide dependent as you know. Not that I would want to put anyone off fishing in a gale, there's always the beach!