12m and Charter Boats

Paul D

By the way............

I'm not a bl@@dy tourist, I fish selectively, returning unwanted/not needed fish carefully alive to the tide, I do not discard perfectly good fish dead into the sea.

Perhaps the idiot who wrote that should spend a week on a trawler and a week on a pleasure angling boat at the government

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is non other than the cfo ian carrier and im sure that one of his commercial chums would be delighted to show him what a cuddly bunch they are . but dont forget donald collier who was appointed by poole council to justify the

Edited by Maverick

Having recently burst a blood vessel over the reply supposedly penned by our fishery minister Mr Jonathan Shaw to a letter sent on behalf of the Poole and District Sea Angling Association in which he states that Recreational Anglers views have been taken into consideration when refusing to increase the MLS for bass I can well understand the frustration of the charter skippers locally to Mr Carriers attitude to the 12m byelaw. Mr Carrier has stated in public in the past that he believes that anglers have an effect on stock levels--he obviously has not seen our local beam trawler unloading in one session what recreational anglers in the area combined would take many seasons to kill assuming we did kill everything we caught. The dinosaur status of the SSFC will remain until there is a change in leadership.

The only way to get any change at all is to vote for sympathetic politicians who may bring in measures at a higher level. Opposition MPs have realised that Jonathan Shaw is a poor fishery minister and will use his weakness to attack the government. Locally Mrs Annette Brooke MP has stated that the lib dems support an increase in mls for bass and in the House tory MPs have been needling Mr Shaw with questions. We can only hope that he eventually gets better advice or is removed. I will continue to lobby on behalf of PBSBAC and PDSA.

Peter

I too feel strongly that the wrong message is getting across, so much so that I did not get a reply to my email to ether mr Carrier or Mr Shaw, perhaps it was a little "direct"

Years ago Weymouth charter skippers lead the way in catch and release compared to other areas [Plymouth] compare the fishing in teh two areas now and there efforts have done well. Looking at the Recycle Fish campaign they still do well done them. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Perhaps with the committee's approval Mr Carrier would like to attend a meeting of PBSBAC to explain to us tourists [ that get it so wrong] how we should protect the commercial fishermans stock better. mad.gif

Pete jnr I would love to see the full message can you PM me.

Charlie

• 3 weeks later...