Species Hunt - 1st July **revised Date**

Adam F

It has been decided to re-schedule the species competition from last weekend to this coming Sunday - 1st July.

Please book in here, or with Paul D or myself. My number is 07957 829902.

With regards to the weather, a decision will be made by Sat evening by Mike Fox as to the conditions on the day.

I'll start the ball rolling by booking myself in on OotB - probably with Gordon M as crew.

PS: Dont forget this is a Boat Fishing Monthly qualifier competition!

we have some freinds come down from reading this weekend but i can move them to next weekend if need be but the weather is not that good on sunday looking on windguru 14 knots winds so will the comp be on if the wind stay like this .

mark b

Edited by Nipper

Let's be honest chaps, the weekend is looking borderline, but we're all keen to get out - not too keen I hope!

Front after front is coming through all week (Glastonbury and Wimbledon effect?), but there could be a slot at any time, and all it takes is for them to speed up or slow down, and it can all change.

Mark - 14 knots sustained is fishable as you know, but MetOffice currently suggests gusts to 25 knots. That might make things interesting.

Rob - as suggested last week on the last comp thread, try a different site. Metcheck is not really appropriate - even if it is occasionally right!

Too early to call still, but last minute contingency plans might be needed!

Mike

I was reading a Met Office doc yesterday that suggested that the current trend of northerly biased winds with continual lows tracking WSW to NE is due to a slow down in the west/east jet stream. This is due to exceptionally warm weather over the Canadian prairies (the cause of the vicious tornadoes they are having at the moment). The bad news for us is that these conditions usualy last for a long time (3 to 4 weeks). Based on current estimates they do not expect any great change in the outlook for another 10 to 14 days. In fact even more gloomily if they have not changed by then the trend will continue throughout the 'summer'.

Mad Mike

Mike

When do you think you will make the decsision about the Comp?

I have been loaned a boat again but need to make some decisions on other things to free up some fishing time

Tides are a lot bigger this Sunday so potential for wind over tide kicking up the sea is greater

Charlie

Windguru forecasting Southerly F4/5 and wave heights of 2.8 metres.

BBC forecasting rain, rain and more rain.

Those synoptic charts not looking good.

Not a gambling man, but I suspect I shall have a chance to fish the second BFM comp !

Between Mike and I we have made a decision to always aim to call the comps by 6pm on a Friday eve. It will be posted here.

On the odd occasion that the weather looks marginal, we may decide to post here on Friday, but delay the final decision to Sat, with the very latest descision to be made by 5pm.

Also - with regards to re-scheduling comps, a decision has been made to always choose the next suitable date, this avoids any backlogs of unfished comps at the end of the year.

Adam

All,

I have been asked to make the call by Friday evening if at all possible. This gives two risks:

- the grim weather forecast for Saturday might not clear as fast as forecast, and the outlook for Sunday might be wrong on the Friday (meaning Friday it might be "on", then late Saturday have to call it "off");

- the Saturday weather might clear faster than expected on Friday, the isobars move apart, wind lessens, and conditions improve faster than forecast (meaning on Friday it might be called "off", but late Saturday it becomes clear it would have been fishable).

So long as all accept these two risks, and the call can be made wrong, I'll make the call Friday evening in the following manner:

- If after consultation and collaboration it's called "off", then I won't go back on the decision, allowing people to rearrange their weekend. People can still fish if they want in a location of their choosing, but not for the comp, which will be re-arranged to another date.

- If it's left "on", and conditions deteriorate unnacceptably, to more than was forecast on the Friday, I will post on here a late cancellation by Saturday evening. Please check to make sure!

Hope this makes sense, and is the most pragmatic approach.

Mike

Safety Officer

PS It looks grim for Sunday already, and it's only Thursday.

Edited by Mike Fox