165+bigfoot 60hp

Member Removed

hi lads heading out at the weekend to view/test a late 2002 combo as above..just wondering if any of you guys have a similar combo from the same year or there abouts and how you find it,,as i do a lot of long range trips i am a little concerned about the engine age and the fact i dont know much about that model,,any info would be great cheers,,,,,,

I have a 165 with a 60hp Bigfoot of the same year and am more than happy with it. The 60 gives me about 26 knots, which for me is ample. If I was buying from new or replacing the engine, I think I woud go for a 75hp just to get me out of the hole a bit quicker, expecially with 2 big blokes or 3 people on board.

Terry.

ha ha paul but having owned a 520 some years back id say it must have been on a very calm day,,the 520s are great till the water chops up then its rosery beads time... laugh.gif

Totally agree - It was a flat calm day and as soon as the water chops up a bit it is back down to around 12 knots.

As an owner of a 165 with a 75 Etec, I believe in that class of boat it is hard to beat. Adams 165 had a 60, 4 stroke, the added weight certainly slowed it down and although a top speed of 23 knots is fine the power to wieght mean't it was sluggish out of the hole. The 60 2 stroke is a good combo but you have to consider fuel economy against how much you are going to pay for the outfit. I wouldn't consider it over

As an owner of a 165 with a 75 Etec, I believe in that class of boat it is hard to beat. Adams 165 had a 60, 4 stroke, the added weight certainly slowed it down and although a top speed of 23 knots is fine the power to wieght mean't it was sluggish out of the hole. The 60 2 stroke is a good combo but you have to consider fuel economy against how much you are going to pay for the outfit. I wouldn't consider it over

thanks for the replies lads,,it is a 2 stroke enging by the way.the condition well the boat would pass for a 06 its realy spotless,,but the engine looks its age plane and simple and its this that has me concerned,,he is looking for 11k but as its a boat yard im sure he is looking for a good profit,,ill have to check the hours when i see it but as a guide i should be looking for less than 100hrs per year max would that be right,,never did have an hour clock on any of my previous boats,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, dry.gif

I think you are right to be concerned. With an imaculate boat and and old looking engine, you need to be wary that they haven't wisked off the original engine and replaced with something off a work boat. Even a busy private boat would have only done 100 hours per year. If it looks older than the boat it probably is.

2 Stroke 60HP engine will not be particulariy economical and the re-sale value of the old 2 strokes is less than then new generation engines.

Personally, I would look for a package with a 4 stroke or with an E-Tec or Optimax engine or get the price knocked down.

The engine on her looks to be exactly the same one that Nipper had when he owned Enticer ( before ditching that engine for an E-Tec ).

Enticer went well with that engine but the fumes sick.gifsick.gif and economy will be bad.

Phil,

Push yourself another couple of grand and get a proper Warrior tongue.gif

http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/view/F144982/

Whatever you do - DONT RUSH... the Warrior's are so popular their is always a good selection up for sale. I rushed 1st time round and got a good boat and a dog of an engine - it cost me another

Interesting thread.

This might be a silly comment, but if they are so popular, why don't people just keep them and not put them up for sale? Are they considered an "interim" boat that people buy before upgrading to something larger?

Some of the most popular makes of yachts rarely come on the market because people are so happy with them! Very often they are kept for 10 years or more, and when they eventually come onto the market, they are sold for more (in pound terms) than they were bought for.

Mike

Good point Mike,

They do stay with thier owners, however with the 165 esp. I think that it is case of bigger and better - certianly most of the ones I have heard of being sold are due to upgrading - myself being a prime example

People who dont wish to upgrade tend to keep hold of them, or just update with a newer version - you'll have to try very hard to beat what is the best in it's class!