Alderney Ring

pegleg

Jas,

Like Kam,can thoroughly recommend the Anka Yanka system but recommend you also get the coathanger (stainless steve does one)

Beauty of the Anka Yanka is you can just clip it to the mooring rope at any time, and the coat hanger keeps the buoy away from the boat rather than under the bow where it can't be seen.

Not a cheap system but one that will last for yonks

Recommend you go for a bigger rather than smaller buoy as more buoyancy holds anchor and chain easier.

Downside is its rather a large beasty to stow.I keep my kit in the cabin.

Pete

Jason

Before you go ahead and start bouying the anchor out you will want to consider changing your bow roller. It is designed for use with your electric windlass and offers loads of vertical strength, but not much lateral strength.

If you attempt to drive the anchor out with your current bow roller you may well "splay" it out sideways and that won't be covered under warranty!

You can do it by tieing the anchor warp off to one of the bow cleats and that will work fine.

If you wanted to consider changing your bow roller then another guy to have words with would be Pete Russel jnr (Shytalk) or as the other guys have mentioned, Stainless Steve Engineering in Lymington will do a top job.

Give him the complete old roller and he will knock up one that has all the lateral strength to drive out the anchor on a cruise ship and you will be able to easily fix it back down using the existing fixings.

Tom

Hi i'm having a heavy duty alderney ring made up as well as a s/s basket thingy to put my coolbox in on the bathing deck. This will free up loads of space . Luckily i mentioned it whilst talking to an old friend whom i didn't realise is part owner of a fabrication company and he will even deliver the bits when he passes my house........BRILLIANT. May use his company to beef up the bow roller as he is fairly local to me but i'll probably do this when the weather is not so good, so hopefully a long way off. Jas

mike, don't forget postage is extra, and due to the size of the buoy, carriage wise you are looking at 10-15 on top.

No not at all the P&P was included in those costings. Kam I am the tightest thing with my money. I do not throw it around and somtimes stand amazed at the way some folk just buy off the shelf so to speak. a little research on ebay has saved me hundreds if not thousands.

eg I have just bought an inflateable 230 Yamaha dinghy and a 4 hp 4 stroke yam to fit it both used only 5 times in 18 months and they are like new for

I used an simple ring and buoy system on the Wilson for years without a problem but have become more unsighted from the buoy now with the larger craft. I've not had the need to use a coat hanger addition before, but I feel this might help now.

At the risk of seeming a bit huh.gif

Exactly what do they look like unsure.gif

What dimensions are critical for their function unsure.gif

How are they deployed unsure.gif

How do they function unsure.gif

This one might help a few of us from running over our warp sad.gif

At the very least an inconvenience mad.gif but more importantly a serious safety issue.

W

cool.gif

Coat hangers?

If you deploy your Alderney ring set up from the side using a clip on painter, make a large loop in the main line to clip on with. Then once the anchor is set just pull in the painter through the bow roller onto the foredeck and place the loop over the Samson post. Buoy is then sitting nicely on the main line at the bow ready to retrieve with no problem; you only need a coat hanger if you don

Gordon,

I think the idea of the tri- ring (coat hanger) is to keep the lifting buoy away from the bow............ therefore in full view when motoring off to lift the anchor. biggrin.gif

Without the tri-ring it`s sometimes hard to see which side the buoy is going. unsure.gif

eliminating the need to reverse slightly and digging the anchor in any more blink.gif

If i`m wrong it won`t be long before someone says so weep.gif so watch this topic

Gary

Mad Mike [my hero] QUOTE.." I am the tightest thing with my money". Got you beat there Mike.Andy and I hold our anchor bouy away from the bow,{about a boat length usually ] with a 6" rubber tyred pram wheel,with one of its spokes removed to allow a loop of the anchor warp to be passed throgh to fix it in place. I got 4 for 50p with a free push chair thrown in,from our re-cycling dump.The good thing is that its got that soft rim,and if it hits" old mother Andy's", shiny boat he does'nt get stroppy.It slips on and off in seconds and you can get a good grip on it with cold wet hands. laugh.gif jack

The coat hanger is very good at keeping the Alderney ring/anchor buoy from the bow of the boat ( say 10') , You know exactly where the anchor rope is and no chance of running over it.

I think the correct way of using it, is to feed the rope thru the small circle, twist the loop a few times, then thru the triangle, and finally 'hang the loop over the 2 corners of the triangle then pull tight. If you don't twist it like suggested, there's a chance it might slip when not under load.