Boat / Trailer Weight

Paul D

As you are probably aware I am currently looking for a 4WD.

The Honda HR-V caught my eye as a good compromise, but I note that it has a max unbraked trailer weight - 500 KG. ( 1200 KG for a braked trailer )

My Orkney trailer states that it will handle a max weight of boat = 750 KG. I suspect the Orkney weighs 300 KG ish + trailer weight ?

Anyone have a rough idea what an Orkney 520 on a Snipe Trailer will weigh ? Should be around 500 KG I would have thought ?

The Mondeo tows it with no problem, but this can tow up to 1800 KG for a braked trailer ( unbraked is not quoted ).

Don't know the weight, but if your trailer is braked it will not be a problem because the boat, trailer, engine, etc is unlikely to exceed 1200kg. If it's not a braked trailer, it might be a bit touch and go.

The issue is not whether the HR-V has enough power to tow it; this should not be a problem. The purpose of the tow weight is to ensure that the thing you are towing is not heavier than your car. If it is, and you turned sharply or braked hard, the trailer could overpower the car and cause it to turn over.

That's why the tow weight is higher if the trailer is braked. The trailer brakes itself and stops it from overpowering the car.

Bob F.

I think Bob will agree with me here - but my Warrior, with engine and fuel etc onboard will weigh around 1050kgs all in - I would think the Alaska would be very similar? This is qouted on the paperwork Warrior supply.

I would think your boat will weigh maybe slightly less, but I would say a trailering weight of around 800kgs will be right.

This is the issue that has put us off the HRV, we really liked it, but it BW would be too heavy as per Honda's ratings.

In a bit of a dilema at the mo. Really like the Freelander, best looking 4x4 on the market, nice features, nice prices etc, but am slightly put off by the bad press, that said I have heard alot of good things also.

Other options?...Rav4 - only like the new models, out of our price range, CRV - looks too boring, X-trail, too dear, Grand Vitara - rach not too keen.

I feel that we will just do some research and go for a Freelander.

Oh well, we have now bought an HR-V and having tow bar fitted.

I will probably now have to purchase a braked trailer ( or convert mine to braked rolleyes.gif ). However, I think, as Bob says, it is "touch and go" re: overall weight, so I will see how it tows, since the HR-V is not too much differnet in dimensions/weight to the Mondeo ( and it is not too far to Wick from mine ).

Won't have the car in time for the trailaway to Lymington.

Short term plan is for Helen to use HR-V and I will keep Mondeo ( which tows anything thrown at it - just steep slippy slipways that are the problem ).

Long term I now have my eyes on a diesel X-Trail to replace the Mondeo but a bit pricey.

Hilux Surf or any of those big beefy cab jobs will pull the boat fine, only problem is I travel 100 miles per day commuting and they are hardly economical smile.gifsmile.gif + how quick would they depreciate clocking up 30K + miles per year ??

Also work noting is the pulling ability ( boat pulling that is ) of the CR-V is only slightly better than the HR-V ( 1200 KG and 1300 KG ) and my Mondeo TDCI can pull 1800 KG no problem ( as long as not slippery ! ). If there were a 4WD Mondeo TDCI that would be perfect.

RE: Freelander. I know where you are coming from Adam, I was so tempted to get one, but it would have to be the TD4, since I found the 1.8 not powerful enough. ( Similarily if you do opt for a "girlie" HR-V tongue.gif then make sure it is the VTEC version - the standard 1.6 feels underpowered and the VTEC one I hardly fast. - When we get ours we can hook up BW and see how she tows if you like ).

The Honda CR-V ( and HR-V ) is superbly built, but 4WD system is same as HR-V and the CR-V is certainly not an offroader. Price was the reason we didnt go for a CR-V. For the similar price of a CR-V I would have bought an X-Trail and they are superb towing machines with economy good enough for me ( at least that is what I told Helen !?! )

Decisions, Decisions eh

Paul,

Be careful with the towing weight if you have an unbraked trailer. You have only got 500kg to play with, which isn't a lot once you add fuel, anchor, warp, weights, etc, etc.

If the outfit is above 500kg and you have an accident, I'm not sure that your insurance will cover you.

Again, the 500kg (unbraked) and 1200kg (braked) is not towing power. I notice you call it towing ability, which is probably more accurate. I'd call it towing allowance.

cheers

Bob F.

Proper boat pulling machine not a girlie 4x4 like the Honda and RAV4.

It needs to be a girly car - its for the missus, not me!

Paul - I think you will be OK with the HRV, although we were discussing today, and think that your rig will weight more than 500kg - more like 1000kg when loaded. - I would ahve the trailer converted, its alot safter anyway. The law does actually state that any rig weighing over 500kg MUST be braked - we found this out last year when we were pulled over.

Therfore I suggest that your rig could be illegal at present.

Time for a visit to a weigh bridge?? sad.gif

Bob / Adam,

I was getting worried so done some looking up of weights.

Manufacturer quotes max unbraked = 500 KG. ( 1200 KG braked )

Max Legal unbraked trailer weight = 750 KG ( not 500 KG )

Boat : 340 KG

Engine : 69 KG

Trailer : 200 KG ( est )

609 KG

======

Fuel 25 litres : 25 KG

Batteries : 25 KG

659 KG

======

Anchor + warp : 10 KG

669 KG

======

Above is around 50% of the kerbweight of the car.

Perhaps I will buy the braked trailer my friend has for sale !?! or get Helen to pop down to Wick to retrieve when needed unsure.gif

However, I suspect the same problems exist with the Mondeo ( where I cannot find an unbraked trailer quoted ). The kerbside weight of the mondeo is similar.

From above I think I will be legal but over manufacturers recommended by 100 KG ish.

Use the links Mike posted during our discussions on 4x4's - www.parkers.co.uk I think. Great for comparing and reading reviews on cars.

Personally I think cars are a very personal decision - do your research, look at the main dealers then look privately, take into consideration others views, but dont use them as gospel - your needs will probably be very different.

Spot on Adam, if it wasn't a personal choice then everyone would be driving the same car !

I bought a copy of What 4x4 magazine and read it from cover to cover ( wouldnt have even thought of an HR-V otherwise ( or indeed a Subaru Forester ). I will let you have it at the next meeting if I remember Paul.

I also trawled the internet usergroups / web sites etc. etc.

Even so, I am still not totally convinced the Honda HR-V will be up to the task, but not a problem as Helen needed a replacement for the Focus anyhow and it will give me a reason for next car upgrade !?!

I also always bear in mind that what I find out/ get told ( particularily on the internet where no one is accountable - but not on this site of course ) will be either useful factual info, purely opinion or completely wrong unsure.gifunsure.giftongue.gif

Paul..................simplest solution re trailer weight......wang over over to your nearest RMC gravel extraction plant, there will be one nearby, and ask if you can weigh the trailer on their weigh bridge for a donation to their tea swindle. They can only say no.

Failing that, phone up your local Traffic Police office, and ask them when they are doing weight checks next, as you need to know that you are not breaking the law re. trail weight. Then, if you are subsequently pulled, and found to be overweight, at least you can prove you have asked to be tested.

As a final solution.........................guestimation!!!!

Cheers chap, Rich

Hello chaps, not posted here before. Reading this thread with interest. I tow my Tremlett every weekend. Its all up weight is just over 2250 kgs. Not a prob as I tow with a Range Rover.

Last year I renew'd the insurance and flicking thru the policy docs the was a clause that said I had to inform them if I was planning to tow a trailer over 750kgs.

I phoned the insurance co and informed them that the trailer was slightly over the 750 kg limit they imposed.

So have a look at your insurance policy to make sure thast your covered and theres no clauses you don't know about.

Also when looking at your trailer weight re car limits etc, also take into account the permissible train weight set by the manufacturer. Go over the limit on that and your more than likely not be insured. Which is why I use the Rangey for a tug. Intersting point with some of the larger 4x4's is that if you fit a air compresser for air brakes you can go upto 7500 kgs with a draw bar trailer.......which would be fun!

Hi Barry

Firstly thanks for your above comments, Im sure all our members have informed their insurers, havent we huh.gif The phones might be buzzing tommorrow biggrin.gif

Secondly I notice that you registered on this forum on the 22nd November, how did you resist posting all this time? rolleyes.gif

Welcome onboard and keep them posts coming wink.gif

Martin

Guest Guest_Barry
Secondly I notice that you registered on this forum on the 22nd November, how did you resist posting all this time?
..............Pass, don't know. I was still looking at the Solent Forum