Sea Angling Licence Again!

Coddy

You can read the White Paper by downloading

White Paper

It's a 176 page document and the bit about licences is on page 121.

There is a clear proposal to introduce a Sea Angling Licence. The money

raised is to fund:-

Improved scientific data to manage fish stocks

Protection & provision of shore access and parking

Provision of more small boat launching facilities

Access to new and existing shore structures

Creation of artificial reefs

Clear displays of rules & regs at launch sites and aboard charter boats

Plus, of course, adminstration, monitoring, inspection!!!!!!

There is also a proposal in introduce 'bag limits' on shore anglers and

non-commercial anglers fishing for certain species, which IMHO will be

p*ssing into the wind when compared to the havoc wreaked by commercial

fishermen on fish stocks!!!!

Might even come to something this time! dry.gif

Coddy

mad.gif

Edited by Coddy

I actually agree in principle with the licence concept - still somewhat dubious of how they will push it through if they can't even make a decision on the bass mesh size... ph34r.gif

Fianlly, I hate to put a negative thread on a positive subject, but if you look through the above website their are thousands of petitions for everything!! rolleyes.gif I just wonder how serious these are taken - surely goverment doesnt work through each one individually... the pesimist in me tells me it is N.10's way of pacifying the public.... ph34r.gif

Edited by Adam F

Putting money into research should not come from recreational anglers...full stop! This is a government initiative, which should be funded by central Government, IMHO.

Openening up the coastline...why should we pay for this?? Let the walkers who will have benefit from this pay for the luxury!! I dont want to fund this either!!!!

More small boat launching facilities......why charge just fshermen??? This should be funded by ALL small boat owners, not just anglers

Upgrading reefs and shoreline structures?? This should be paid for by local council tax payers!!!! The council benefits from an influx of visitors here!

Admin, monitoring and inspection???? Jobs for the boys, my friends, jobs for the boys!!!

I'm sorry, but I am 100% against this!!!

Rich..........now off soap box

How much of your "Road Fund Licence " (car tax) goes on improving roads? (Not forgetting the tax on fuel itself) Expect the same %age of any sea licence fee to be be spent on improving angling access/ sport! I pay more than enough taxes as it is, I'm fed up of government thinking up new ways to extract more of my hard-earned money to be wasted on stupid schemes and inefficient bureacracy.

I'm against it (in case you hadn't worked that out!) - and have signed the petition (let's hope it gets as much support and attention as the one on variable charges for road use did!)

Edited by hotshot

At the end of the day, its all about what they want. Its seems inevitable that we will have to fork out some money towards a licence fee. I am, however, all for the anti lobbyists, like the SACN, etc etc, who seem to be campaigning tirelessly for our good.

Five hundred different petitions is only going to spread the anglers word thin....concentrate on one thing at a time.

I'm for it if we could achive fisheries like they do in the UK or Australia, however I doubt we will / can / would.....

I'm against it in the case (likey) that it would create jobs for the boys, endless paperwork and bureacracy....

I assume you mean the US and Australia, Adam, in which case I think you're correct in your assumption. In those countries they seem to target the money at the people who are going to make an impact on the situation, i.e., the men (and women) on the ground. I'm afraid that here, for every person trying to do a good job, they would have to have at least three people to ensure that a) they have targets to meet, b] to inspect them on a regular basis, thus ensuring that more time is spent preparing for inspections and appearing to be making targets, c) that they don't get more money than is barely adequate, d) that this money is not wasted on anything other that filling out forms and attending Health and Safety meetings.

This country is choked because of the Governments paranoia with not trusting organisations to spend the money they are given wisely and letting them use their expertise to make sound judgements.

Terry.

Smillie removed

Edited by Maverick

Unfortunately, as already pointed out, money from one good siurce is frequently upped by the Gov't in seat, to fund their ridiculous initiatives. If the money raised from the VEL went back into the roads 100%, we would have a system inplace similar to the german autobahns...and not the back streets of Hong Kong as it is here in the UK.

Its an utter farce to think that the million or so nglers who follow their pursuit should pay for bloody do gooders to walk across someones back garden along a fore shore is unthinkable. What next?? A tax on watching footie at your local ground????

Rich

Unfortunately, as already pointed out, money from one good siurce is frequently upped by the Gov't in seat, to fund their ridiculous initiatives. If the money raised from the VEL went back into the roads 100%, we would have a system inplace similar to the german autobahns...and not the back streets of Hong Kong as it is here in the UK.

Its an utter farce to think that the million or so nglers who follow their pursuit should pay for bloody do gooders to walk across someones back garden along a fore shore is unthinkable. What next?? A tax on watching footie at your local ground????

Rich

Eh, what's wrong with the back street of Hong Kong? I have many fond memory there..... rolleyes.gif

hi i went to ameeting last night and the latest regarding the licence is that the government propose to bring it in by 2009 announced at the top secret public meeting between defra and southern sea fisheries at the rnli building last week but no mention of price and they believe that the cost of policing it will be generated by the fines imposed on anglers with no licence and the increase in the bass minimum size is definately on hold for further investigation annihalation whichever way you look at it again i believe until 2009 there wouldnt be an election that year would there ,and commercials versus pleasure anglers wsa also mentioned again regarding the revenues brought in by both parties but its not my place to be getting political here