112 Emergency Services

Gazza

Went to a site safety induction today (building site) and one of the things i was told about was that.......If you call 112 on a mobile phone you will get the same emergency services as 999 but it will be faster and....this is the best bit...if you are unsure of your exact position they can find you by g.p.s ohmy.gif

Is this true ? dry.gif

Can anyone confirm this / unsure.gif

Does the safety officer know about this....although we all know we shouldn`t use a mobile phone as a reliable way of reaching the coastguard at sea.

Gary

I think 112 is an internationally emergency service, ie you can reach the police/ambulance/fire etc wherever you are on earth.

As to the mobile phone, the AA has been using it to trace breakdown from their network, see advert re:Vinny Jone getting wet. biggrin.gif

Gary, generally, the 999 network is answered by local centres, however, when the demand is huge a 999 call from say, southampton, may be answerred by someone in manchester.......unlikely, but possible.

The 112 network is picked up by centres local to the origin of the call. Also, when calling from a mobile phone, the general location of the caller can be determined by using trignometry if the ignal is picked up by three or more masts. This is how n'ere do wells may be tracked using big brother technology. It falls flat when only one mast picks up the signal, so the calculation cant be made. One good thing about the mobile 112 system, is that calls made are directed to the closest network, not necesarily your own network, so, say a call from an orange mobile can be picked up by an o2 mast, etc etc, even when your own handset signal is poor. Remember the guy who was located in a remote part of the world by calling his family back home??? It does work, alledgedly.

Rich

A good tip is to load your nearest and dearest's phone number in your mobile under

ICE ( in case of emergency)

That way the emergency services know who to contact if your not able to speak for whatever reason- but they have to find you first!

PJ

Edited by Paul J

oooooops forgot to add, mobile needs to be GPS enabled.

Rich,

I beg to differ regarding this. Triangulation is quite possible using a normal mobile phone. I actually paid to have one of mine tracked and works very well if in range of 2 masts and incredibly well when more can be seen, although it does still try to work when a single mast can be seen but put me 5 miles out in the Solent ( when at work ) !