How Good Is Your Line?

Coddy

don't know about interesting as it misses out most of the braids I have (whiplash pro, ron thompson dynabraid being the ones I like the best) other than Fireline - but the Fireline result seems to bear out the BS factor - generally I use 20lb, although I have 14, 35 and 60EDS on reels too.

the 20 seems to hang on in there beyond my resonable expectations from time to time!

the 20 seems to hang on in there beyond my resonable expectations from time to time!

That's because it's so thick!! 20lb fireline (original) is about as thick as 80lb whiplash.

As anglers I think we should pressurise braid manufacturers to provide diameters, because it's diameter that makes the real difference to perceived strength in real-world use. Personally I have 50lb whiplash on my reels as the 30lb is too unreliable - it seems to suffer from abrasion a lot more than the 50lb stuff. I did try 65lb but it was virtually impossible to break out of snags unless tied to a cleat (not easy when drifting at 3.5 knots!)

50lb and 60lb BS braid!!! ohmy.gif What exactly are you guys targetting? Whale sharks? The heaviest braid I use on my Penn 16s is 30lb, thats for fishing 3lb of lead down in depths of around 300 feet, but usual gear is 15 - 20lb braid on all small to medium multipliers, and 10lb on my Sea fixed spools. Heavier braids mean, in general, larger diameters, which give more drag in the water, and thus heavier weights are needed to keep bottom in tide. What is the point in out gunning your target with excess strength in tackle?? Next we will advocating the general use of tuna stand up 80lb class gear for drifting the race!!!!!

Give em a sporting chance for goodness sakes!!!!

Rich

come on Rich!

50lb and 60lb BS braid!!!  What exactly are you guys targetting?

I have 60lb EDS on a formula 15kg which is paired to a 50lb class Berkely full roller road.

Agreed it's not appropriate for much in the UK however it's the only rod I have that is heavier than 20-x; it's the only reel I have that is larger than a 7000 class and whilst I have 35lb fireline on one reel I have 20lb on 8 and 14 on 3.........

Anyway - we all have dreams! rolleyes.gif

I use 50lb braid for one simple reason - the ability to break out 30lb traces when snagged and get most of my gear back. There's nothing more annoying than wasting a drift or 2 tackling up when the bite is hot. I use 15lb class rods for pretty much everything, so still get plenty of fun, perhaps more so as I can really bend them into fish! smile.gif

Very inetesting to compare the test BS to the knotted test BS

and compare the results to the cost

as others I would like to see more of the others we use on the list.

I like fireline as its strong and durable.

I had heard it tested high, but have had it tested for line class fish/trophies by the British Conger Club and it was within parameters.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Give em a sporting chance for goodness sakes!!!!

I use 40lb+ braid for a very simple reason - abrasion resistance and kindness to my hands (ok 2 reasons! tongue.gif )

I have tried 15lb braid for bassing, and whilst on a stright pull it is more than strong enough it breaks like cotton when it touches the reef.

Knotting 15lb braid all day takes it toll on your wet hands and I constantly found I have a braid cut on the outside of my right index finger.. weep.gif

I now use a 40lb bulk braid from tackle bargins which is cheap as chips - this is use for 95% of my fishing.

then what braid would you recommend as a mainline that can be used for anything. but is definately ok for a tight budget!???

Im hoping that if i use a strong braid, it is then ok for any type of fishing, dependant on the trace i use from the hook.

Thanks for any advice

Dan

I would be the last one to advice you on braid as I've only ever use 2 brand, the first was Spider Fusion, I like it, strong but it was thick. The other is Power Pro which I now use on all my reels. You can pick them up at

Edited by Newboy

Gordon,

I use whiplash all the time. Superb stuff.

One thing which should be born in mind when using braid, particularily the heavier BS stuff is that if you are stuck in the bottom, or in fact any other time, DO NOT wrap any around your finger / hand etc. It is quite capable of giving you a nasty injury, if not severing a finger or whatever.

Might seem obvious but worth stating I think.

One thing which should be born in mind when using braid, particularily the heavier BS stuff is that if you are stuck in the bottom, or in fact any other time, DO NOT wrap any around your finger / hand etc. It is quite capable of giving you a nasty injury, if not severing a finger or whatever.

good point Paul - we keep an 8" length of wooden broom handle lying around in the cockpit for exactly this reason - it's quick and easy to 'figure of 8' it onto an even quite taught line and get enough of a grip to take all the strain without actually being the cause of a break where you 'attach it' so that on balance the braid will fail at it's attachment to the bottom swivel or whatever and you don't loose the line!