Decembers Bfm

Swainiac

To be fair, martin has a point.....If we disliked it that much we wouldn't buy it, and i still buy it.

The float fishing for bass artical was among the best ive read and it has a dingy section too. Its all to easy to have a moan (yep, i did i know).

Edited by Gnasher

Well, kept quiet up to now but here is my twopennyworth.

Some issues are superb. The bass fishing article was really useful ( well it would have been if we hadn't already learnt the method smile.gif ).

I still subscribe to the magazine and there are some good articles for "newbies" but less for the "experienced" boat users but from all the magazines out there they are still the only one I would consider subscribing to.

By the way, what is wrong with articles telling you how to win comps by bagging up on LSD's. Some people actually did exactly that when fishing the November comp .....!!

It is easy to sit on the sidelines and criticise, much harder to "come up with the goods" - as can be witnessed by the wealth of articles submitted to this site ( NOT ! ).

Hi all

I might as well add my two penneth.

The Mag has IMHO levelled off from a very good beginning where it filled a large hole for many of us serious anglers that only really fish from boats.

I have cancelled my subscription when it ended for the SA [Not for the first time] as it was again in a slump, and I had lost interest in the context and content of many of its articles.

Unfortunatly the BFM is at a low point but the boys and I still read it every month with interest. even though I have done a fair bit of congering I enjoyed the article, as I did the one on Bass fishing with a float.

I personally enjoy reading articles at the time reletive to the seasons, Ie Bass in Summer, Cod in winter etc and enjoy the odd article about fishing for exotic fish in far off places.

Dave needs time to take the Helm and in my book I will read on and decide in May wether renewing the subscription is what I want.

I hope the Mag continues to improve and Remember its done some good Club articles on PBSBAC in the past, biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I am sure it will again once we can get back out there amongst some fish, and not sit at home in crap weather playing with these computer things.

Give me a rod and some fresh air anytime.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Fred Sportsman from Biggleswade holding up a dead fish that he caught last week.

Mad Mike

Hi Mike

What's wrong with Fred from Biggleswade?

I used to live very near there and towing a boat 100+ miiles to the sea at some early hour, ANY fish is welcomed after that trip and back home. wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

Coddy

cool.gif

ps Love you really laugh.gif

Fred Sportsman from Biggleswade holding up a dead fish that he caught last week.

Mad Mike

Hi Mike

What's wrong with Fred from Biggleswade?

I used to live very near there and towing a boat 100+ miiles to the sea at some early hour, ANY fish is welcomed after that trip and back home. wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif

Coddy

cool.gif

ps Love you really laugh.gif

biggrin.gif Yeah yeah tongue.gif But the point I am making is that 3 or 4 pages of phisog's with fish is a bore to me. I would buy a magazine to READ interesting and informative articles. I don't want to pay

We do actually have one or two literary marvels within the club and the sort of reviews we see on here would make great reading in some of the mags.

It is a shame that the mags to pick up on the opportunity.

One problem is they do want specific types of photo's to go with any review, hence they prefer to have their photographer tagging along...

Tom, I actually spoke with Dave B a couple of years ago, at the bar in the Sailors Return, in Weymouth after the last day of the YYs, and gave him the opportunity to have a look at the club, and perhaps do a feature. With the broad spectrum that the club now has, with all members able to contribute in some way, my belief is that at least one article could be put together, which would make the Boat section of any magazine proud to publish it. Yes, many new things have been shown in the mags, but Adam made a point in an earlier thread, where you can set your weather watch on whichever article is due to appear in a forthcoming mag, all you need to do is flick through a few previous mags from, say Nov, Dec, or Jan, for a cod article, which are pretty much the same, and the same faces appear in these atricles, with pretty much the same information. One article that springs to mind was the feature on the lead makers, called the Cannonball run, which was basically a huge plug for them, and gave very little gen on specific leads, colouring for match fishing, se of leads for different tidal aspects etc etc......which is what I would have expected from a feature such as this.

Far more anglers partake in shore fishing than boat fishing, for many reasons, mainly, it being a cheaper option of catching Sea Fish. Boat anglers, most of which these days are in fact Charter anglers, take a back seat in most mags.

we in this club are very fortunate, in that we have members who are more than willing to take newcomers, and I include myself in this bracket, to crew with them, and give them a taste of real boat fishing. I have been very fortunate(......or you guys have been very unfortunate!!!!!), in that I made contact with Bob F on another forum, which has more bitchiness about it, and I finally joined this club, joined many of its members on their respective boats, and eventually, allbeit three years down the line, made a substantial investment in a shared boat of my own, which gives me the oppertunity to experience the great days out that I have had. I have also made a number of very good friends through this medium. This is one aspect that a mag could pick up on, it is a local issue, which local boat anglers have made a reality, and my belief is that the PBSBAC is the best small boat club in the south of England, if not the ountry, and that is down to everyone involved in it, from the chairman down to the newest member. Boat fishing and small boat ownership is not something for the elite, it is available to anyone who really wants to do it, and this club truly shows the way here, I'm just sorry that many many other anglers who aspire to own their own small boats do not have the oppertunity to see what a small boat fishing club is all about, and to me, apart from forums such as our fantastic one, pat on the back Paul, anglers could see what small clubs are all about with features on them in the glossies. Perhaps we should have an overseas section where we can take our girlfriends and wives who can sit on a boat in their bikinis and catch dorado, red fish, tarpon and the occasional billfish to promote the PBSBAC, then maybe the mags would like to include us, the platform of boat fishing in the united kingdom, in their pages, by perhaps taking two less adverts for the same boats and the same GPS units, which go out of date next month, and including a feature on the backbone of boat fishing.

I am in no way slagging Dave, who obviously has the character and expertise to perfom the dutes of an editorial role, but maybe take off the blinkers!!!! You are more than welcome to crew on the boat at any time, Dave.............as long as you contribute to the bacon sarnies!!!!! wink.gif

Rich

Lots of very good points brought up there Rich. Perhaps a little harsh ref the point on articles about clubs. Our club for instance has had I believe 3 large articles over a 3 year period so we can't really grumble on that one. Hopefully we will be able to have the same relationship with Dave as we had with Jim? only time will tell

Martin