Oil And Water Dont Mix

Fugazi

Gordon,

Here are some useful articles on 4 stroke V 2 stroke.

Stroke for Stroke

E-Bay Guide

Quote :-

Consider different strokes for different boats

Those who think 2-stroke engines are being phased out for environmental reasons are way off. Thanks to stricter EPA and California Air Resource Board (CARB) rules, manufacturers now produce simple, efficient 2-stroke engines that produce fewer emissions and offer better fuel economy than older models. For example, Evinrude E-TEC and Mercury OptiMax engines are rated three stars by CARB as low-emissions engines and already meet CARB

The E-Tecs can be set up by the dealer to use "standard" XD-50 oil or the special synthetic stuff which is sold at around twice the price of the "standard" oil.

The upside is the engine uses half the oil, so although the oil costs twice the price it costs no more in the long run and because you are burning less oil there is no smoke and because the oil is thinner it is better in the winter ( they do a "winter formula" version as there were problems in the winter with the oil injection mechanism which were solved by a software change and the "winter formula" oil ).

5 litres costs around

Agreed that the 4 strokes are quieter than the new generation 2 strokes, however, they are no more economical. In fact I am getting far better fuel economy with my E-Tec than I ever achieved with the Honda.

Not a good comparison though, Paul. If I remember correctly, the trim of your boat with your Honda was never really right, hence the slow speeds you had. It would never have achieved optimum fuel economy when not trimmed out.

Your E-tec has power trim and tilt which has allowed you to properly trim the boat.

Or am I mistaken (as usual)? sad.gif

Several tests have been done on 4 strokes and new 2 strokes engine, all were rigged up on identical boats. Data were collected and compared. On the 90hp range Suzuki won the group with fuel economy and quietness followed by Etec and TLDi. Etec won the 60hp range (maybe because Suzuki didn't make a 60).

Just to add my two penneth worth to the debate on 2 v 4, ( I have the Suzi 90 4 by the way ) in a recent article in Practical boat owner ( I think ) they raced two identicle ribs around IoW, one with the Etech, the other a Suzi, both engines same size, I think 90's, from a standing start the 2 stroke was quicker but not for long, they got round in under 1 hour ( Record 29 mins ) obeying harbour laws etc, on final measurement, there was no differrance worth talking about in consumption or time, but both crews said if given the choose they would go for the 4 stroke, no logical reason, just feel and over all gut reaction.

One more thought, if you had a particular make and type of motor then upgraded ( probably 5 plus years later ) you are not compareing like for like, so to say it is more econimacal than my Honda etc, is totally invalid. All modern engines are streets ahead of models going back 5 - 10 years, so remember to compare like for like, Personally I would not leave any engine 3 years without a service, I was an A/C engineer and know the value of regular checks.

• 2 months later...

Just moved all these engine discussions into their own forum.

Noticed I hadn't answered your question Bob. ( and indeed shropfisher ).

You are both quite correct re: comparing like with like. The old Honda was a carburated 4 stroke - old technology and was not running as it should and indeed the trim of my boats was never correct

However, the point I was trying to get across is that the old " 2 stroke are less economical " is not necessarily true. ( albeit witha flawed argument ! )

Perhaps one day I can do a consumption test with Alun J to compare like with like ( although I have the heavier boat )