Battery

Newboy

How many batteries have you got and what power rating?

I have a 110 amp leisure battery in my boat, plus one of those power station for emergency and addtional power.

Is the 110 up to it to power lights, fishfinder, vhf (when I get one), the odd cuppa, not to mention starting the outboard, plus the bilge pump in an emergency?

Or should I get a smaller (85 amp) one for just the outboard and bilge pump?

Newboy

I have two 85 amp batteries on my boat, they are switchable i.e. bat 1, bat 2 or all on oh and off. I have never had a problem with my batteries except when I forgot to switch the electrical system off when leaving the boat for a period of time (couple of weeks) that spoilt a days fishng but thats another story. Modern electric toys dont drain much power so a 110 amp battery on a small boat is up to the job and will cope with your boat electrics easily.

BUT

I would never have a boat of mine with one battery for safety reasons. With two batteries you should always have plenty of power to start your engine even if one bat goes dead on you. Most outboards can poke out enough power to keep batteries charged up and trailer boaters have the benefit of being able to charge them up at home. Mine are on a trickle charge now. If you are thinking about it you are obviously concerned so dont think it do it, fit two batteries.

Martin

Bob,

Your article was great and I have two batteries now ( Not quite wired as per your article but near enough ).

Newboy, make sure you get a decent 1-2-Both switch for the batteries. I saw one of dubious Taiwan build which would be more likely to fail than if a single battery were fitted !!

I bought a switch in Aladdins Cave in Hamble for around

From experiance at work,It depends on the use of battery's,

how big the boat is and how much weight you want to add to the boat.

Most yachts carry two types

1, A high torque starting battery, used mainly to start the engine, charged from the engine when running/ trickle charged when not in constant use by solar panel or shore power.

these batterys do not like to be run down to low, as it can damage them internally.

2. One or two large capacity liesure batteries, used to run all other systems.

remember that yachts are not usually under engine power for long periods, but still have electronics and electrical system to keep going.

these batteries can be run down much lower between charges without damage.

but can stand the odd emergancy engine start if required.

They can be charged via engine , wind genny, solar panel or shore supply.

as stated above a 1, 2 or both type switch is very usefull.

I personally have one of each and individual isolating switches from each battery and another isolator used to cross connect.

I also have a split charge relay fitted that sends 70% of the charge to the battery that is drawing the most power [Liesure battery]

I hope that helps

Charlie