Monday Night Mullet

Paul J

Went down to Christchurch to wet a line and watch the sun go down for a hour or so.

Spotted a couple of Mullet while walking down the bank to where i might get a Bass or an early season Seatrout. First Mullet i've seen, a good sign, Summers coming, it won't be long i think to myself.

Further down i spot tails sticking out of the water- Dozens of them! wow there here and early too!. Im starting to get excited and quickly put up the fly rod, heart thumping and hands shaking.

I put a fly right over the shoal, must be 100 plus fish right under my nose, this is going to be fun.

Well maybe not, the fish were so preoccupied with the nose in the mud they totally ignored my feable efforts, bugger. I think that Mullet like taking the p**s, i swear i can hear them laughing at me or am i going mad?- jurys out.

Anyway i persist and get into one, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ( thats my reel)

I tell you what fighting these fish in 8 inches of water is something else! closest we got to bone fish. A small fish of 1.5lb but what a scrap, first of many this season. i hope.

Oh, oh oh oh!!!!

Me, me me! what a great time of year it is when the mullet arrive in xchurch. Native bonefish exactly!

Paul J - anytime this / next week you wanna have a crack again on the fly - give me a call!

Adam

Bass: The larger type pike flies. Basically trying to imitate a small sandeel / fry. I find white works well.

Mullet: Can very much depend of the mood they are in - often they take the same fly as the bass, other days, imitating a maggot, bit of weed etc can work - others days their seems no rhyme nor reason, and they take something obscure!

Great fun on a 4 weight though!!

Adam

Rich,

no easy answer to that one, they keep changing their minds

however generally you want fry imitations for bass-white the best-some good sandeel patterns are available, i;m currently trying surface poppers -(ill let you know -in progress)

Mullet-either small white magott patterns or something with wiggle and a red tag

cheers

Paul J

Rich

I have found a small mepps type spinner with the treble removed and a small single hook attached with a bit of rag on works great dry.gif I know its not fly fishing but I havent got a game license, But its still great fun on a light spinning rod biggrin.gif

james

You dont need a Game licence for Fly fishing for Mullet - If a Sea Trout happens to come along - then thats just tough luck Id say - or course Id always return it! dry.gifph34r.gifph34r.gif

Fly fishing for mackeral is also worth trying! With the demise of so much of the 'big' fish in our waters, trying something differnet can be very rewarding! - Catching a 1.5lb mackeral on a fly, can give you just as good a fight as a 30lb eel, its all relative to the tackle you use. Graeme Pullen has written an article in this months BFM on this very subject.

Fish lighter - have more fun! - Tope on carp rods, Bass on spinning rods, mackeral / gar on the fly! biggrin.gif

Rich,

very much like streamers and similar size -size1 is good

tie them on stainless if in the salt or wash them after each use

i use an eight wieght clear intermeadiate with a 10lb florocarbon leader for the bigger flies in windy conditions- lighter than this is more fun in good conditions