A Bridge Not Far Enough?

Afishionado

"We are having positive discussions with private landowners, developers and the Government to secure the land and the funding package for the bridge."

that will be interesting in itself - basically as they need to raise the money the developers are on to a winner. Once the powerstation site is 're developed' you have to wonder how long some of the businesses owning suitable land in that area will take before they sell up and really make money on their assets!

Have heard that there are no plans to synchronise the two bridges which means that the very restricted holding area between the two bridges will become a free for all with high risk of collisions . ohmy.gif

Quite a spectacle! rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

Initially I reckon it will give Matchams a run for its money -Time to invest in a spectator area methinks wink.gif

I only hope that they will make the new bridge at least the same airdraft as the old cos I can get underneath that one at all stages of the tide - biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Well so far anyway although I might have a bit of trouble on the highest springs ohmy.gifsad.gif

Anyone have any idea of proposed design height in closed position?

If this goes ahead I think there will be a lot of spare moorings becoming available in Cobbs Quay Marina and Holes Bay unsure.gif

Another point.

When the old bridge needs maintenance, they close the road and lift one side so that boats can still get in and out.

With the new bridge being a diagonal join it looks as though both sides will have to be raised to allow boats through, does this mean no boat movements during maintenance periods?

Why can't they adopt the French approach and build a short but high bridge It works every time

It may not look as pretty but it would prevent chaos in the space between

Will they think about building pontoons for boats to tie up to now the ebb tide has increased by 1.5 knots due to dredging.

Tony D