Winds Up! :-( On Metcheck

TomBettle

Just checked the long range forecast on metcheck for Alderney.

Slightly damp and drizzely which I don't mind, but winds are freshening with 4 to 5's West or SW for Tues / Wed and 3 to 4's the remainder from the South.

4 to 5's are OK by me, but will make for a somewhat lumpy first couple of days.

sad.gifsick.gif

fortunately I am seeing slightly better forecasts...........time will tell

Where are you looking Duncan?

Put Alderney into Metcheck and 19mph / 20mph over first two days....

I prefer the better forecast so please give me the details and I will watch that one until metcheck is better again!

I wouldn't worry to much about it, the forecast change quickly and frequently.

On Sunday, most sites including Metoffice was forecasting f2-3, raining on Monday, Sunny f1-2 on Tuesday and raining f4 Today for Guernsey, but the weather had been fantastic over the last 3 days, barring a very cloudy/foggy day on Tuesday. The sea was like a mirror on the way back today.

Windguru are giving 4/5 Southerlies on tues with it getting better all week with 1/2 and 3's on the other days - Friday is looking the best.

Metcheck is giving pretty much the same.

Weather is looking to be a mixture of sunshine and showers with a little cloud.

....cant wait now! Finished work as well!! biggrin.gif

Its holding as you state above Tom.

All of the forecasts I can see are giving Weds - Friday pretty nice, just windy on Tues. Worst I have seen is XC weather - usually pretty good as takes its readings from the channel light vessel - F5 midday on Tues. I think maybe an early start to break the back of it and then fish the deeps, leaving only a short run into Braye should it turn bad?

Getting excited now - however its the worst time as we watch the forecasts update hour on hour. Worst still I cant go out tommorow to take my mind off it!

Adam

Monday is supposed to be cr@ppy according to Solent forecast pinned up in the marina, dropping from 7 to 5 during Monday night.

Taking my mind off things tomorrow:

1)Lie in - I deserve one

2) Call Weyfish to ask tem to get the ice machine on

3) Get tackle ready and short shopping list from WAC

4) Call Mark B - see if he wants to come down to the boat to get ready

5) Abbie and me go to boat with all gear, load boat, upgrade software to fishfinder, meet Andy the fuel man at Kingfisher and fill tanks and spare 105ltrs of jerry cans with diesel, nip to Weyfish and load coolboxes with ice then nip to WAC to get essential tackle

6) Return home with nice big Lobster from Weyfish to grill with garlic butter

7) Eat dinner, whilst cooking check weather one last time

8) Call Mark and Malcolm with all plans

9) Collect Mark at about 05:30 and on to Weymouth Ferry Port for the best breakfast, way better than the sailors

10) Meet up with Malcolm at the Ferry Port at 06:30 and enjoy a full English and cup of tea

11) Nip to Spa to top up with tea bags, milk and a few cold ones

12) Untie lines at about 07:15 and head SxSSE for the first wrecks about 14 miles off the Bill, stopping first to feather up about 40 very nice mackerel, 15 of which are perfect Joeys and used for live bait

13) Meet Phaeton if he hasn't "bottled" about 18 miles SxSSE of the Bill.

14) After a decent fill of 20lb + wreck cod, fillet down, set on ice and head for the Deeps

15) Take a couple of 15lb plus Pollock before heading to the moorings in Bray, followed by a short water taxi to "The Moorings" in Braye

16) Meet the rest of the crews and up to the Armoury for a S,S & S and then across to St Anne's for some grub and a Wicked Vimto

Well that is Monday and Tuesday covered, what are you guys up to?

Tom tongue.gif

PS: Wednesday and Thursday involve much the same, but primarily include several 20lb + Turbot, a confused 12lb Bass, a plethora of Bream that we decided to go for whilst waiting for the right state of the tide and about 10 Tope over a nice little mark several miles to the SSE of Alderney (all 40lb+ and on 12 to 20lb class)

Friday involves a steady steam back to about "half way" where we inadvertantly pass over an unmarked wreck to find it teaming with British record Cod which each of us break in turn, the smallest of about 63lb goes on as bait for the large shadow that has been tailing our drifts and results in the UK's first Great White "tag and release" at an estimated 1050lb, caught on the heaviest gear we have onboard (20lb class), but aided by expert boat handling.

Love you all

TB

im over till wed night and then steaming straight back from the banks so we will get two full day's of fishing in not bothering with any pollock bashing.Just got to go to asda's and get a toaster and frying pan and thats it all fresh makeral and ice picked up this morning. cool.gif

13) Meet Phaeton if he hasn't "bottled" about 18 miles SxSSE of the Bill.

well I'm back from Morrocco but haven't checked the met much myself yet so bottling may be next on the list....................

right then - my detailed forecast (that I trust) has it southerly 2/3 going east 2 for the rest of the week after 1900 Tuesday night.

actually looks better after 1300h as the wind will drop across the channel then (honest).

what is 'scary' is the area in the western approaches 'cos if that lot shifts on Tuesday it won't be fun at all. also with the winds there at the strengths prdicted there will be some swell up the channel too.

overall you couldn't really expect a better forecast though..............

we remain 'committed'! As for fishing plans we are somewhat less structured that Tom (or more realistic?) and have set ourselves the objective to break the club ling record - well actually just to catch one rolleyes.gif

I am actually a tad concerned that my lack of structure will be my downfall.

I aim to drive along until I find a lumpy jagged bit of metal. Drag about some bits of rubber with pointy things in for a while. Then drive along to another jagged lump of metal stuff and do the same.

Then in Alderney I aim to drag some badly cut lengths of mackerel or any other fish we can find along some sandbanks for a while. Do that for a couple of days and come home.

Is this organised?

Tom

I am actually a tad concerned that my lack of structure will be my downfall.

I aim to drive along until I find a lumpy jagged bit of metal. Drag about some bits of rubber with pointy things in for a while. Then drive along to another jagged lump of metal stuff and do the same.

Then in Alderney I aim to drag some badly cut lengths of mackerel or any other fish we can find along some sandbanks for a while. Do that for a couple of days and come home.

Is this organised?

Tom

Hey, you've forgotten the most important thing...... drinking tongue.gif