Drama At Mudeford....

Adam F

As we approached the run, a decent set of rollers could be seen from at least 1/2 a mile off - I remarked to Gordon that we may have trouble getting in....throughts of Sept 2004 came flooding back.

We held off the last buoy to asses the situation - it seemed no good, sets of rollers were pushing into the shallow bar and breaking forming 6-10' waves.

We had three options as we discussed....1.) Run the gauntlet, but I was wary of this after Kimmeridge, or 2.) Try and get one of us ashore to take the car and trailer over to Baiter, whilst the other steamed BW across the bay or 3.) Anchor and wait for the waves to abate at LW....

As we deliberated, a 16' Orkney - who we thought was Neo (but wasnt - it was called 'B Lucky' came past - we expected him to come alongside and discuss the situation, but he motored straight past and before we knew it he was heading into the surf - I grabbed the binoculars and watched to see if he was OK and to see if he made it though....after about 30 seconds the swell masked the boat and he dissapeared from view - when the boat re-appread all I could see was his keel band! sad.gif It then appeared that one of the crew was in the water.....

The waves continued to whack the poor Orkney - I got straight onto Solent CG who launched the inshore LB....The guys still on the boat managed to get the anchor over to prevent the boat moving and then tossed a lifejacket to the MOB - we couldnt get close enough to help due to the surf, and then appeared to be struggling to get him aboard.

A 21' rib then appeared - guys who had seen him from the shore launched and came out to help - we kept in contact with the CG and the lifeboat to keep then abreast of the situation. The rib took him on tow and managed to pull him clear into deeper water, when the LB arrived and took charge. They then took the crew aboard and towed the waterlogged Orkney back into the harbour.

I was a little unsure of getting back in myself, but Fraiser (skipper of Aquafresh, Mudeford) jumped aboard BW and expertly helmed BW at full throttle over the bar and surf and into the run - explaining that it was the best approach in this situation.

Anyway, as they say, all's well that ends well - could have been very different, but goes to show a cautious approach is always needed.

Adam

B Lucky

seems to sum up there aproach to the situation, cross fingers and hope may be more appropraite.

Glad that nobody got hurt but I would love to hear what the Inshore Lifboat crew thought.

Very good work by the experianced locals to help out, and I believe you made the correct decision to stay out of the way and not make it a two boat incident by rushing in to help.

Charlie

Glad all turned out OK ( and that the boat was not Neo ! ).

We had fun getting in ourselves yesterday and the waves were trying there best to turn the boat as well. Out of interest what time of day was it ( we headed in at 3-30 and any later would have been extremely hairy.

What astounded me was the rollers look much worst once you get through them and look back.

I think someone ought to get the entrance dredged - it surely is a safety issue.....

It wasnt really the shallow entrance that caused the issue. We had plenty of water at 7am when we departed and we arrived back at HW slack - and had plenty under the keel.

The issue was that as the swell approached the beach and got shallower it began to break - it was happening all along the seafront.

Similar to Kimmeridge, i.e flat calm seas offshore etc - this swell seemed to be pushed up by a light offshore breeze holding it off and causing a swell.

This is the worse that I can ever remember the bar though, both for how shallow its been over the winter and how the conditions where yesterday.

Hi Adam,

Well done on your trip, productive catching and supportive role in the 'Drama' you described !!

I had planned to go out Sat. ..... but with an ill daughter and stressed other half, decided to gain [ rather than lose ] favour.

Whilst out, I popped down to Mudeford, late lunchtime, and it looked ideal, with a light offshore N E just riffling the water.

Sunday, I had a family 'do' in Dorking ; there seemed hardly a breath of wind before I left [ and all day]....... so I was amazed to read your report on the waves.

Where do you think that swell could have come from ?? Sometimes a spring tide does it, causing swell on flat seas.......... but last weekend was neaps ! The wind was light , and had been for days. My only thought is Tsunami - related ; could a storm , or other upset, hundreds/ thousands of miles away have rippled our way days / weeks later????

When you came in [ I presume the tide was ebbing] , which route did you follow ? Was it close to the three yellow buoys and then close to the quay into the Run ??

Glad you got in safe and sound ........ and obviously concerned over my next trip out .......... [ over half term week ] .

Alun.

Adam

Well done for your thoughtful preparation and avoiding what looked like a very iffy situation! - I'm interested like others, in how the skipper of Aquafresh got on board your boat ? from the RIB ? and was he out on his boat.

Was the tactic to steam up the back of the rollers and keep just infront of the following wave ? or did you have yor eyes shut !!! unsure.gifunsure.gif

it was this guy who helped out with a yacht run aground in the entrance last year -always seems ready to step in when necessary.

Paul

I thought it was only me who wondered how he got onboard?

....by magic! ohmy.gif

No seriously - before the ILB arrived Fraiser and a couple of chums saw the floundering Orkney from the shore and jumped aboard the 21' rib to come and assist.

After the Orkney was recovered I asked if they could take Gordon back to shore to get the car round to Poole, and I was going to steam round....'why?' they aksed - I recalled the Kimmeridge strory and said I wasnt keen - no probs they said - this guys will do it, he uses the entrance all the time in all weathers - (Fraiser) the rib was alongside BW so he jumped aboard and just opened her right up and blatted striaght over / through the waves - basically if you are going fastaer then them in a straight line (not across them) overtake them and they pose little threat.

Adam

Hello all, i was speaking to the owners of "B-lucky" on the quay after their adventure, i had to pull the boat from the water for them as the owner who had gone for a swim had the car keys in his pocket at the time. Unfortunately he couldn't get into his own car as the alarm wouldn't recognize his keys, his friend was on the way with some spares.

His account of what happened was "we were surfing a wave in, and made the turn to make the run and another wave hit the boat at 45o port rear and rolled the boat 90o to the starboard side at which point i came out. fortunately the anchor fell off the boat and dragged the boat bow on to the waves which gave me a chance to get back in, then the lifeboat gave us a tow back in, it was very scary".

It appears he is a regular out of mudeford and fishes the bay quite a lot.

I spent some time with him and checked his engines out for him, everything seemed ok, so he got lucky this time, but i think he will probably think a little more about crew safety next outing.

I took a slightly different approach back into harbour with my raider 18 by going wide right of the worst breakers and then tracking parrallel to the waves before they broke which just put a slight roll on my boat as the wave past, it was the first time ive had to deal with waves with the raider and i must say that i was amazed at how stable it was and how little influence the waves had on its handling. That said i'm in the market for a new prop now as the sand bars were a little cleverer than me on the day.

I'd just like to say what a top web site and club this is and my subs will be on their way shortly. And if anyone wants to come out with me the raider i'm always up for making some new fishing friends, i'll let everyone know on the board if i'm going out.

simon larman

Hi Simon ......... and welcome to the club ...... the top place for friendly, informed advice and help on just about any topic.

Being a member over the past year and a bit has broadened and informed my fishing hugely.

I'm a regular fishing out of Mudeford in my little Orkney 4 40 ......... and would have been out last weekend if not for some family commitments.......so missed the action........gulp !

I try to get out most weekends [ when there are fish to catch ....... so Feb. / March is missable!]

If you need crew or want to buddy up for an inshore trip........ post here.

Cheers,

Alun.

Hi Simon, welcome to the club.

It certianly was a one of last weekend, as youll read elsewhere, I havent seen waves like that before at the run....very strange.

Im sure youll have no problems in getting crew / making new fishing buddies on the forum - look forward to seeing you at one of our meetings soon.

Adam

(Mudeford Surf Resuce!!) sick.gif

thanks for the welcome,

I will certainly try to get to a meeting at some stage but i live some distance (90miles) from the venue, but it would be nice to meet you all at some stage, maybe i could take a friday off work stay down and start my fishing weekend early (wahay!!).

i'll post some piccys of my boat on the site so the raider owners can compare notes and the way we've got our boats set-up.

I've yet to name my boat (bad Luck I know) so if anyones got any ideas, however rude, sarcastic or just plain funny i'm open to suggestion.

later

simon