Petition To Save Cod

Maverick Martin

While I agree 100% that something must be done about the fish stocks and the free for all we all have in catching and retaining fish.

I believe that slowly we "Pleasure anglers" are doing our bit by employing catch and release methods for pleasure and competition fishing.

The Charter fleets are also now more likely to adapt catch and release than they were in the past which can clearly effect the catches

Years ago when Plymouth was a mecca for angling and especially Congering.

The skippers supplimented their money [ which was not bad compared to other wrecking ports] by selling catches illegally at the end of the day.

At Weymouth the skippers seemed to decide as a group to adopt a catch and release policy where they could

As a result of the differance of attitudes I think [iMHO] that it shows why Plymouth is now running a small and tatty charter fleet and Weymouths is booming with new boats being built for several skippers.

However we will struggle to get the fish stocks to return if the commercial fishing fleets Foreign and British do not start employing methods that allow imature fish caught as by-catch to survive. [square mesh panals] But I am not sure how many fish would survive to mature.

I would be very happy to see a strict quota system applied to commercial fisherman and pleasure fisherman as they do abroad with great success in some areas.

I have signed by the way

Charlie biggrin.gif

Signed.

The reason cod are becoming scare is because the scientists state that a fishin moritarium is required in order for stocks to recover, yet this never happens and the fishing continues. We need to learn from history - Grand Banks .....

As regards "how can you ask the professional fisherman to curb his income by accepting size increases, in fish and net mesh sizes . " ..... If they don't there wont be anything to fish for anyway, which will certainly curb their income !!

Fred

For an example of how RSA's attitudes are changing take a look at the Bass management plan proposed by anglers. In there you will find not only measures to curb the commercial element but also bag limits for rod and line anglers with sensible limits set for commercial rod and line fishermen.

I can think of very few anglers that kill and keep all they catch and none that sell their catch. In fact a large majority of our club members return most of what they catch. I'm sure there maybe a few rsa's around that sell fish but if I knew of them I'm afraid they would be shopped.

I think most anglers are coming around to the opinion that we have to make a stand and save what we have left to secure the future for our children, any that don

Me too! I recognise now that after over 40 years sea fishing in which time I've probably decimated cod stocks by keeping every one caught, I need to change my ways. From now on I promise to return as many as I've caught, all 2 of them, with a total combined weight of 8lb 2oz. Of course I've signed the form, but for me cod fishing has not declined in any way over the years, it

A reply I got from Malc. at Ammo Baits.

Thanks for circulating the Petition about cod. I absolutely agree that we are killing far too many small immature cod (and other species),

If I may say so, I think it is worse than as described by the Petition.

The EU minimum landing size (mls) is a pathetic 35 cm. Such a cod is less than 18 moths old. At three years old an average cod weighs 6 lbs and even then only a quarter of them will be mature. At fours years of age when an average cod weighs 9.5 lbs, almost two thirds will be mature. Only at six years of age can we be sure that ALL cod will have reached maturity and by then they average 17 lbs !

Just how ludicrous it is to catch such small cod (bearing in mind how large they can grow) is best illustrated by a recent article in Fishing News (commercial fishing weekly paper).

Fishing News 11 November 2005

Record-breaking fish tag unravels secrets of cod

A cod was recently recapture from the sea two and a half years after being tagged with an electronic data storage device. During its time at liberty, the fish grew from 44cm to 85cm and increased its weight from a mere 800g to an impressive 6kg. The tag also showed that for the first year the fish remained in shallow waters (30-40 m) east of Shetland, then in the winter of 2004, it abruptly moved to deeper waters (120-150m). Here it stayed, but now moved in a vertical plane , perhaps reflecting a change in feeding behaviour or prey type. When caught, the cod was full of herring.

I calculate that represents an annual rate of increased weight of approx 250%. IF the value per kilo remains constant for a cod of 0.8 kilo and a cod of 6.00 kilos that's a hell of a return on leaving the capital in the bank [cod in the sea] BUT the value per kilo also increases with size. A 0.8 kilo fish would currently make