Thursday 2nd

TomBettle

-1 on the way down in the car and -1 on the way home and I don't think it warmed up at all through the day.

Chilled to the bone the only thing keeping off the hypothermia was copious tea and pot noodles.

At the tip of Portland Bill we headed in a South Westerly direction about 8 miles to the "Martha".

Very easily found and what looked like fish showing a dissapointing few drifts produced a big fat zero.

On another 8 miles to the "Algarve" a small and very hard to find wreck, and again fish seemed to be showing but zero!

Finally and with the last of the flooding tide we headed 10 miles North West to the "HMS Empress of India". An enormous hulk of a wreck with holes and hideaways all over it. Masses of stuff showing, but by 'eck they were hard to tease out.

As the last little bit of flood died off I was finally in.

A few minutes later a clonking Pollock that bounced the scales from between 15lb 12oz and 17lb. 16lb it goes down as!

Over the slack a few more drift produced nothing but Pout so we knocked it on the head at about half two and punched tide the whole 27 miles home.

Bloody hard work and bloody cold, but nice to be out in almost flat conditions.

Tom

post-4-1138907491.jpg

To be honest guys, I think te Pollock haven't realy shown up anywhere in numbers.

My session at the beginning of January seems to have been a forward "party" and the rest haven't moved in yet.

I know the Weymouth charter fleet aren't catching in great numbers at all and the same story applies right down to Exmouth.

My trip yesterday was well over 60 miles for one fish!

Tom

Hi all

A cracking fish Tom and a real fine effort to do that many miles and drift fish for so long in sub zero temps ph34r.gif

As we discussed last night the fish looks to have been caught outside the line to the west end of Club Waters.

when I get a chance I will check, its in the book for now but may yet be excluded

Can you PM me to confirm if your mates fish in January was inside or outside the west line [Due south from the bill]

Thanks

Charlie biggrin.gif

Does anyone not think that we are begining to push the club boundries a little too far. Alderney does seem an awful long way off and after all we are called Poole "Bay" "Small" Boat Club. Maybe just in the interests of safety we should have some sort of distance from shore policy.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying this because my boat is particularly small as I get plenty of opportunities to go out on larger boats.

Just a thought.

not sure I understand -

we are begining to push the club boundries a little too far

have these been changed since they were originally set?

fwiw launching at Weymouth gets you to Alderney with similar sea miles as Christchurch to the Shambles, or Wareham to the RIPS area.

safety is always the responsibility of the skipper as as such the clubs twin responsibilities are to ensure skippers understand that (highlighting possible risks through training and discussion going hand in hand with that) and ensureing where possible that at no time do they (the club) create pressure on any skipper to cut corners or compromise that responsibility.

speaking personally I joined the club to 'widen my horizons' in terms of experience in both fishing and boating; and hope that I have contributed to others in return for the huge amount I feel I have gained in the last few years.

finally I don't actually think it matters for anything other than records etc as perfectly represented by this thread - Tom just went fishing; he clearly wasn't influenced by club waters heading West from Portland, as I am not when heading out looking for fish!

The club waters policy was set when the club was first formed and has not changed since. Skippers that want to go a long way offshore will go whatever the club boundaries are. Some members have been venturing over to Alderney for years. I believe there would be no benefit in changing boundaries now as it would serve no purpose.

I would like to reiterate that the club does not encourage boat owners to undertake more than they feel capable of. Each and every trip should be well researched in terms of weather, boats capability (sea worthiness and fuel capacity etc.) and the competency of the skipper and crew. Safety gear should be checked to ensure it all functions and is all in date. In other words you should do your own risk assessment before each and every trip.

For those that don't know what club waters are: StCatherines to the east to The Bill of Portland in the west and as far south of those two points as you care to go, wow that

For the record.

The Empress of India (as is much of my fishing), way west of Portland Bill and deep into Lyme Bay. In fact she is as easy to get to from Exmouth as she is Weymouth.

The catch report was just that, a report of a fish I caught when went fishing.

It wasn't a record claim or any such stuff, in fact it was to say that it was a long hard, cold, day for very little apart from one big fish.

I understand the club waters policy and in a comp or claiming a record I would be well and truly inside, however I actually joined the club for simlar reasons to Duncan - I wanted to broaden my horizons and learn from like minded individuals and I must say that the club has succeeded 100%.

The fish that Chris caught was on a wreck about 28 miles due South of the Bill so just inside club waters. In fact if te weather had been clearer we would have been in sight of Alderney.

Not sure what my fish would count towards anyway as it was only mentioned as a "Catch report".

Have a nice day! tongue.gif

As Martin said [He beats me to it most times, thanks Martin]

The Club waters are very extensive. and go well south

So if you are on a private boat fishing these waters you can log your catch with me.

It is then eligable for Club Trophies and to go on the Club Record list

For Info ref the Club Trophies

We have trophies for the fish of the month obviously 1 for each month and awarded to the best Specimen each month. any fish caught on a private boat from Club Waters is eligable

2005 all 12 were above 100% biggrin.gif

We also have trophies for the Club competitions and Species trophies for the best fish of most species caught during the calander year.

There are plenty of Trophies to be awarded at the Dinner and Dance so please keep me updated as to what is being caught.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Whats the club record for blue fin tuna? Ive just been checking on the GPS to see if where my in laws live in Spain falls within the "well south limit" and its looking good for the tuna run in Sept and October. Caught 10 of them last October, so I'm going to be looking for the real big ones next September!

Gordon H

I would argue that the South limit should mean continuous water - there is the land mass of France in the way surely ?

It would appear to need clarifying as you could fish somewhere like New Zealand and be in club waters otherwise ( No there's a thought smile.gif )