Bait Pump

Fugazi

Iv'e bought my bait pump hose and fittings and aquired a suitable tank, however my boat has only one battery. How long does it take to drain down power using a 360 gph pump rated at 2.1 amps? Based on an 85 amp hour battery is it a simple calculation of 85/2.1 = approx 40 hrs?

Whats the best way of installing another battery to run this and other auxillary equipment?

Fugazi

I'm sure Bob F or one of the other electro wizards will do the calc. for you - but....

I run a 500 GPH bait pump along side by electronics (x4 units) all day long of a pair of 110AH batts and never have a problem with the voltage dropping - bearing in mind that when using the pump I am 99% of the time drift fishing and therefore starting the engine or leaving it running every few minutes - also a new efficient engines helps - my old beast used to drink power - crap alternator I guess?

I would recommend a double battery set-up regardless - somewhere on this site (someone will find the link) their is a full wiring diagram for this system, which is simple to follow....their is also a full section on setting up a bait tank.

Adam

The calculations are correct re: 40 hours BUT you will never succeed in getting this amount of current for that amount of time.

If you had a fully charged 85 AH battery and drew 2 amps from it - you should be comfortable to do this for 10 hours ( ie 20 AH used ).

However, I would always be personally a little worried that maybe the battery wasn;t fully charged, maybe you forgot how much current the electronics were drawing, what about the light fro night fishing etc.

For this reason I installed a second battery for peace of mind, although I keep forgetting to switch to run on a single battery ( saving the other for starting if needed ).

Still when the E-Tec comes I won't need to worry about having a flat battery smile.gif

Fugazi.... i use one of the battery power packs used to start flat batteries when i`m at the fishing destination . Just rig up the pump to a car ciggi lighter, also handy for emergancys blink.gif Then i have no worries about flat batteries. i think you can pick them up for about

Fugazi

I have two 85amp bats on maverick and apart from when they went capput the other week (old and worn out like me) I have had no problems. I have live bait wells run 2 gps, 1 vhf, 1 sounder and sometimes a cb and deckwash lights etc

From a safety point of view I would recommend having a 2 battery set up. Its not that expensive to do with 85ah leisure bats available for around

How long will the battery supply current to you instruments?

A battery that is rated at 90Ah means that it can theoretically supply 90amps of continuous current for 1 hour, or 9 amps for 10 hours. However, in practice, when the battery charge has dropped to 50% it is usually too flat to restart your outboard motor (though it will have enough power to continue supplying sufficient current to your instruments for a couple more hours).

So, when trying to calculate how long a battery can last from one charge, use 50% of it

Thanks Guys,

I like the idea of the portable power supply as its easy to install and remove to keep charged up through the winter. My existing battery is location is neat, tidy and out of the way, but removal for top and and charging was devised by someone with a great sense of humour.

Gordon H