Rubby Dubby

jack

Hi Jack,

You just might find yourself swamped in doggies......

I've tried it off and on in winter. On one notable day, the only 4 heavy fish came in a short sharp patch soon after we put down rubby-dubby, and at least one of them appeared to have taken the bait block itself rather than the hookbait. It definitely livens up the whiting and pout though, so use in conjunction with a livebait rod is a thought.

Delivery isn't too much of a problem. Freeze some of Wedger's magic mix in polystyrene cups with a loop of line sticking out. Keep 'em in the cups at sea (stay frozen longer). Tear off the cup, clip onto the boom beside the lead and down she goes.

There's a couple of minor tweaks though. You change the lead for one several ounces heavier for that drop, to get the stuff down faster. On 'chum-free' drops, work the lead a little downtide to make sure you are getting the baits back into your new scent trail.

Alternatively, keep the bait rods seperate and send the chum block down from the bows on a dedicated rod carrying LOTS of extra weight to make sure it touches down uptide.

Steve

Thanks Steve,I did wonder about the Doggies,but as you are dealing with the only club member who is delighted to catch a fish of any shape; size ;type or reputation,

"bring 'em on "...I have the polycups full and frozen,I have my little laundry bags, I have lots of weights.I planned to attach the bag to the weight,if they eat the bag too, at least it's working... biggrin.gif jack

post-5-1132681096.gif

Guest ground bait sniff trail

If you can get hold of that plastic tube mesh (the stuff they put round perfume bottles and tiny ornimants for transport). Thread it over your snood up to the swivel below your weight or at the bottom of the boom. Fix with tiny cable tie to bottom eye of swivel. Fill with goodies, but not too full, don't want too much drag. Close around the snood with cable tie. This one keeps a small trail going straight over your hook bait and extends the range sniff for that particular hook.

smile.gif

I'll remember to log in next time blink.gif

There are a few bait droppers around but I too would worry a little about use in very deep water. I think I would be tempted to use a small but heavy streamlined dropper then try to fish back in the tide a little. I've used them up to 80' or so to reasonable effect.

W

A note from one amateur to another, Jack. Last winter I tried groundbaiting for the first time and was amazed at the number of whiting brought up with groundbait in their mouths. It impressed me, and this was just thrown in, albeit in fairly shallow water.

Terry.B.

Im sure it would work. I read something that when out at the back of the island, you have more chance of a cod on the rod that is fished furthest down tide as it comes up the scent trail, so if your rod was positioned down tide of the ground bait then you could be on to something as the fish move up the tide.

Personally, its far to much hassle on a freezing cold winters day. I suppose a sack on the anchore rope would be the easiest in very deep water though.

Personally, its far to much hassle on a freezing cold winters day. I suppose a sack on the anchore rope would be the easiest in very deep water though.

The hassle factor is why I go for pre-frozen clip-on blocks. Dead quick, no stink, no labouring head-down in a heaving boat.

The bag on the anchor trick I'm no great fan of, especially in deeper water. It just draws fish well uptide of all your baits and if there's a decent crosswind, they won't even be sitting in the scent trail either. Frozen blocks will stay attached on a 130ft drop, though you do have to put up with extra weight on the rig. The really difficult bit is persuading the Domestic Tyrant to let you keep them in the freezer ph34r.gif

Steve