How To Cook Lead?

Newboy

Hi Kam,

I made quite a lot of leads last year......... ( probably about ten years supply). All you need is an old but fairly strong saucepan and a gas burner. I use a single camping one fed with butane or propane (Calor). Couple of good safety point!!

Check your working area is clutter free with no flammable materials. Do not use anything that is damp, be it gloves cloths and particularly check that your moulds are dry. I warm mine up before I use them. Cover your arms and legs....... lead spatter smarts ohmy.gif wear a mask, good gloves and goggles. ph34r.gif

If you use a dedicated pan, a smallish one, not too wide is the go (lead

getting the right temp for the lead and the mould is the trick

Heat the mould first and work quickly so it doesn't cool down

I use two burners, one for the lead and one to keep the various moulds at a working temp

Be careful- don't forget the fumes can hurt you too

Paul

Alli. is a good conductor of heat and will do a good job, but will become soft and begin to break down in time. Stainless may take just seconds longer to melt your lead but will last for ever. The grade of lead I think does not matter. Lead is Lead and if it Melts biggrin.gif and later sinks ohmy.gif , the jobby is done. Avoid solder and the like good pure lead id the dog's................ rolleyes.gif

Kam, I find the best method of heating the mould, is to pour lead into each open half of the mould, let it harden for a few secs, then tip it staright back into the pan, it melts in seconds, then repeat two more times, depending on mould size. Bo-pedo moulds take longer than Ron Thompson ones, two fills on a RT 12oz mould does it for me.

Adam gave me the tip of an unleaded fuel burner, coleman do a good one, its a pressure jobbie, like their lanterns, and heat efficientcy is ace.

I find the best way to remove the slag off the top of the molten lead, is to take a length of sorft wood...say 12" x 1"x 1/2", cut an angle across one end creating a wedge, and as the slag forms on the top of the melt, simply imerse the wedged end of the tool under the slag, ease it towards the edge of your melting pot, and simply lift it out, making a small pile on an insulated surface.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES GET THE MOULD OR ANY TOOLS WET.........MOLTEN LEAD AND WATER IS AN EXPLOSIVE MIXTURE!!!!

Happy cooking!!

Rich

I dont bother heating the moulds - I just cast away - the first one may come out a little misformed but generally once one has been done it will be warm enough.

I use a thick pair of quality welding gloves to handle the moulds - this means I can empty the mould whilst still hot ready for another shot.

The coleman stove is ace, and much cheaper and more pwerful than gas - it takes 20p of unleaded to fill the small tank and will run for way over an hour - once hot and depending on the sixe of the melting pit only takes abou 2 mins to melt 6oz of lead. It is a Coleman Sportster Stove.

I have a teaspoon bolted to a length of alu. tube and bent at 90 degs to remove the dross from the pan.

Kam,

The tyre weights will be pretty filthy, might be worth degreasing them a little before use. As folk have said, though, make sure they are bone dry before melting.

Lead is extremely nasty, avoid the fumes at all costs. Do NOT melt lead in a poorly ventilated area. A mate who refurbished an old Victorian house ended up at the doctors after a few months of feeling permanently shattered. Blood test showed his lead levels through the roof from burning off the old leaded paint. It was best part of a year before he was back up to speed.

Steve