Blue fin Tuna fishery consultation.

Mal Thomas

I have been in touch with Steve Porter skipper of "True Blue" who is heavily involved with the Catch and Release of Blue Fin Tuna fishery in Cornwall. The consultation paper is asking for opinions of the licensing of recreational fishing from a limited number of recreational boats for a fee. In addition to the Charters and Commercial that all have a share in the BFT quota that the UK has had since leaving the EU. The quota covers any dead fish from all forms of fishing.

The C&R programme that has been going on for the last few years had several goals, one of those was to ascertain if the fish suffered mortality after or during capture. To date very few have been killed accidentally (approx 14 in two years) mostly through drowning being entangled in gear and coming in backwards, not getting sufficient air through their gills.

Steve was keen for us to fill in the forms both individually and as a club. It is a weighty but readable document asking if you agree or not, if not why not.

Having read it through as far as it goes in principle we would likely agree as long as they Restrict and License and Prosecute if people break the code of conduct. Most of which seems self policing amongst boats. The fee charge is mostly to cover admin, not Policing is my understanding. Most of the finer details are yet to be agreed and Government elections could cause delays in the readings and agreements to the consultation is also my understanding. Please check the link and download, fill in and return.

https://consult.defra.gov.uk/recreational-aquaculture-and-migratory-team/bft-recreational-fishery/