Binoculars

Thanks Charlie.

She's tried a few Binos and hates them.

She's had some Monoculars but only dirt cheapo jobs and likes not having to fiddle about or having size & weight problems. They just go in her pocket.

The 8 is the magnification, the 42 is the size of the lens (Basically the bigger that number the more light that will be allowed in). Star gazing ones will have higher magnification and larger lenses (but they wont fit in your pocket, nor will you be able to hold them steady by hand and more to the point for general use, they'll have a tiny field of view).

The quality of the lenses make a huge difference to the results that you'll see. If you're paying a decent price, make sure they are "coated", or "multi coated" is even better. I tried the Vortex and the Hawke HD. The difference was minimal and the prices were similar. I ended up buying the model with ED lenses because they were just a tiny bit brighter than the previous two and as my use will possibly be in dusk and dawn conditions I wanted as much light as possible but still in a small enough size to make carrying them practical. (They still wont fit in my pocket tho). Id say the 25's or 32's will be better for "normal" use and certainly better for portability. 

I did try the 10 x 42 ED's and they were absolutely amazing, but they're bigger they are heavier and I personally felt slightly seasick in the few minutes I was using them due to my tiny bit of shake transferring and amplifying through the binoculars. 

Id seriously recommend you get to Castle Cameras and have a look at various ones before spending your hard earned. Incidentally, my son bought some from Go Outdoors and he was able to try them out in the store etc and they're great for general use (and about £80). 

Thanks Graham.

I ordered the:      Hawke Endurance ED 8x42 Monocular today.

Amazon prime so I'll get them tomorrow. I had a £10 discount to use up so that helped.

I saw the 42 was lens size.  The other end is 80mm so hope it's not too big. The next size down looked too small to me.

Just hope she likes it.  😉

5 minutes ago, Jim said:

Thanks Graham.

I ordered the:      Hawke Endurance ED 8x42 Monocular today.

Amazon prime so I'll get them tomorrow. I had a £10 discount to use up so that helped.

I saw the 42 was lens size.  The other end is 80mm so hope it's not too big. The next size down looked too small to me.

Just hope she likes it.  😉

It's not the size that counts they say Jim !!😊