Rod Weights

plaicemat

I'm a bit confused as to the classification of rods (there's a surprise). I am looking for a rod (rods?) for bottom fishing for the heavier species, i.e., rays, tope, conger etc. What should I be looking for please.

Incidently on this topic. When I was a child I used to boat fish with a friend of my father's who was considered to be a bit of an expert. So much so that he made a lot of his gear, but don't forget, this was a much less sophsticated age. His 'heavy' rod was made from a golf club handle with rings and reel fittings attached. I remember it seemed to work well for him. For those of you who fancy trying it, I believe it was a 5 iron!

Terry

Which rod you use will depend on the tides and amount of lead required holding bottom more than the size of fish likely to be caught. A 20lb class rod will handle pretty much any fish you are likely to catch but if fishing big tides with heavy weights then a 30lb-class rod might be more comfortable.

For offshore use I have three weights of rod:

1st is a 10-20lb ABU Conolon Pro which is a nice rod for fishing up to a pound or so of lead. It will handle all the fish you mention but may struggle with larger fish and tides. This rod is ideal for drifting offshore banks for plaice and bass.

This rod is a through action rod and locks up progressively. It is ideal for braid as the through action gives a bit of a cushion to sudden surges.

The rod I use most is a 12-30lb Daiwa TDX which is superb and will fish well in all but the strongest of tides. This rod is a tippy rod that shows up bites well, it quickly locks up and has loads of power in the lower two thirds of the blank. If you wanted just one all round rod then imo this is the rod.

Lastly I have a Penn 30lb class rod, which is a brute, to be fair I very rarely use it but it is nice to have the option for those really big tides. A big stick to beat those tides with.

Others will post about there own ideas of the perfect rods but at the end of the day we all have our own preferences. What suits me may not suit you it is a case of getting as many opinions as possible, maybe borrowing a rod to give it a go or going to the tackle shop to have a feel then you pays yer money and takes yer chances.

If you would like to borrow any of the above rods for a day just ask

Martin

Hi terry over the years I expect all our gear has got lighter with the need to maximise sport from each fish and braid making 3lb plus leads just a bad memory.

I like to use uptiders when I can, or even lighter rods, my latest spinning rod is 30gram casting weight and it bends like a trout rod.

Lovely biggrin.gif

but my favorite heavy rod is a well trusted 30lb class kevlar and carbon north western with a good roller tip. its about 8ft long and has a good action.

while it does bend well when into a good fish, I am always enjoying myself a lot when I get them.

whatever make you or your budget chooses, there probably is no need to go beyond a 30 lb class. IMHO

for a lighter downtide rod Sam has just received the ABU conolon he won, which is the one Martin mentioned and is a very nice rod.

I hope that helps a bit biggrin.gif

Charlie biggrin.gif

Thanx for all that, I knew I could rely on you all to simplify things. So I think the search is on for the best priced ABU conolon and a Daiwa TDX. I think the ABU will go very well with the ABU BG7000NLD reel I acquired recently. Matched with 40lb braid?

Hi Terry,

I'm having fun this year with the solid carbon Maxximus rods from Fladden.

They sre so thin.......and so light to hold; they have brilliant bite detection and tippy to start......... but up the wellie...... and they are solid !!

The 10 - 20 is a fairy wand but still pulls up 8 oz plus weights ; 20 -40 sems the business for all the heavier action......... I used it on the Rips trip , fishing deep water with hefty weights and pollack and rays still gave a good show. I've now got a 20 - 50 on the way......... to cope with the biggest tides.

I also have a few uptiders........... the length is good for casting and control of long traces......... but they can tire your arm if you are doing a lot of winding [ against that extra leverage].

If you get to thinking of an uptider........ give me a call.......... and I can lend you one or do you a good deal on one from my collection !!

Have fun........and get fishing [ more often!!].

Cheers,

Alun.

Terry, don't overlook the Shakespear ugly stick range, reputedly the worlds strongest blank, and at a very reasonable price, Ive three that have lasted well, from 6lb, up to 50lb. As Martin says, bang on lighter braid, you will benefit from the lesser diameter when the tide starts to run, and there is really no need to overhaul the fish with brutish gear. Try out a few rods in a decent shop that will price match, depending on where u are on the map. I would deffinately take a trip down to weymouth, and try out some of Andy's gear, try and negotiate the extra discount!

Rich

Alun,

Must say, I fancy getting the 20-40 Solid-C rod. The light weight one is great for bream fishing but not enough power for the bigger fish.

If getting one there is a guy on Lymington market on Saturdays who sells them for

Mike

As you would appear to only undertake inshore fishing then I would say a reasonable quality 10-20lb rod. This should be able to handle up to a 1lb of lead with ease and more if pushed.

If I were to pick one general all round rod it would have to be the Diawa TDX, happy to fish for Bream inshore, plaice on the banks or for heavier bottom fishing. There are other rods that probably do the same job but I will only comment on what I have used.

Martin

Alun has got one that size.

Personally, my only reservation is the Solid-C rod is a little short ( I prefer something a little longer ).

I suspect the guy on E-Bay may be the same person selling at Lymington market.

The 10-20 is

I'm picking up a 20 - 50 lb class one this afternoon...... [ a lot less than the figures here]...

Anyone wanting a look, I could bring them along to meeting thurs.

I thought the shortish length a drawback.........but, in use , it actually helps! Pulling up weight [and/or fish] , the extra leverage of longer rods is very tiring; these are so light and easy to use all day......... they are ideal for lure fishing/ jigging..........BUT.......... I was pleasantly surprised how easy they cast the usual 3 - 5 ft baited trace.

I still put an uptider in for lobbing out the whole, live mackerel.

Alun.

I'm picking up a 20 - 50 lb class one this afternoon...... [ a lot less than the figures here]...

Anyone wanting a look, I could bring them along to meeting thurs.

I thought the shortish length a drawback.........but, in use , it actually helps! Pulling up weight [and/or fish] , the extra leverage of longer rods is very tiring; these are so light and easy to use all day......... they are ideal for lure fishing/ jigging..........BUT.......... I was pleasantly surprised how easy they cast the usual 3 - 5 ft baited trace.

I still put an uptider in for lobbing out the whole, live mackerel.

Alun.

I wouldn't mind a look please Alun.

Can you get these at a good price then?

Mad Mike

• 2 weeks later...