Monthly Points Comp

Newboy

Kam

Due to the fact that no fish need to be harmed / kept, as they just need to be recorded. There are no minimum sizes for the points competitions.

There is no point in catching more than 4 of a species or targetting large fish, but that said scratching for tiddlers is not my type of fishing.

Tight lines

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, I was wondering if I need to record small fish if I catch them (not likely I know weep.gif ).

Points taken on this type of fishing, but I suppose we have to adapt to each type of fishing, cos I would like to catch a BIG fish every time, but in order to do well in this competition tactics come in to it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Peter and I have checked the weather as most of you probably have today

The comp is on and open to all Club waters biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Please phone one of us tonight or post here to register if you are fishing

a message on the answer machine will suffice

Tight lines

Charlie

Hi Charlie

Sammy will be out with me and Bill Smith on board.

We are having a late start due to low water and we need to get a landing net and boat hook from boat jumble.

Will try to give a call out on the radio to see who is out there.

Good luck to everyone you goes out.

Regards

Coddy

cool.gif

I will be makeing an escape from all those nappies sick.gif and will be fishing the comp, as Adams away ive got a freind on as crew, I plan to fish from xchurch so might not get you on the vhf..

See you all out there.

James

Having called your mobile to register, to be told it was off and no voice mail. Then rang Adam's to be advised he's on holiday........... sad.gif Heard someone on C6 but couldn't get anyone from the wrong end of the harbour either!

Anyway I fished a bit this morning but didn't get out of the harbour and had to call it a day earlier than expected I am afraid.

Most embarassing result to date - 0 fish

All the best to the winner -

Well done to all that fished today

The weather was a bit fresher than forecast this morning but eased away during the afternoon

PLEASE LET ME HAVE YOUR SCORE SHEETS

I need to send the results to the mag within 7 days

Well done James, true to form he chased around in the best way to secure points and amassed a terrific score.

We managed a total of 8 species onboard

i will do a longer report tomorrow

Charlie biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Just come of the phone to Dave Rowell

He fished too but found the conditions a little rough through the entrance for Knot Again (or Phil), ending up inside the harbour

Score was 1 bass and thousands of brownie points for getting back intime to see his wife of to Spain!

Hi All

Well the Great White and her young crew headed out early to try and pick up a few fish and score some points.

The forecast and the actual weather seemed to be well apart, but we carried on anyway. rolleyes.gif

The mackeral were very obliging and even on two hook feather rigs we soon had 4 each, then we anchored by peverill ledge

Daniel started to feel a bit sick so we up anchored and set off west to try and escape some of the rough water and wind. To do so we finished up around at Dancing ledges

We anchored and before long were into Dogfish and wrasse. [Well Sam, was into Dogfish while we watched.] after he had about six I had my first bite

Thinking it was my first dog i casualy picked the rod up then all hell broke loose.

My ABU 7000 started to give up line at an alarming rate and the uptider was well bent.

With a fair number of impressive runs and some head shaking I anticipated a reasonable size tope or if I was lucky a very good bass.

What eventually came into view through the clear water was a tope of large proportions.

As I was using a Circle hook and 40lb trace, [the hook was in the scissors as advertised] I was very concerned that any rolling in the net would see the line bitten through, I decided that the only way was to tail the fish.

Sam was volunteered for the Job [Good job he is big for just turned 15] a few more runs to tire the fish, some tips from Dad and a cleared deck and its time to get the fish onboard.

As the fish came alongside, Sam leaned over grabbed the tail in two hands and heaved it in. ohmy.gif As it came in it turned its head with its mouth open. laugh.gif after a few words about its teeth tongue.gif Sam had the fish on the deck and held it while I passed my rod to Daniel and grabbed a T Bar.

Great Job Sam biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

12 months ago he could not hold one for a photo, now he wrestles congers for photo's and tope into the boat. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

After a few photo's the 40lb Male was returned to swim happily away.

What was interesting was a new mark on its side that looked like a bite, but may have been from a net or longline. it can be seen in the photo's.

The rest of the day was spent chasing points and species, we had 8 in total with some of the ones we hoped for being absent.

Charlie 92

Daniel 90

Sam 82

Perhaps I need a lesson Gordon in how to get those mullet.

I hope everyone that went out enjoyed a good day, the weather was nice later on as forecast which was much more pleasant.

Charlie biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Hi All,

Great day out with Paul,

Started out in Christchurch harbour just after 9.00am, and I don't what the local authority call a slipway repair but i would now say that its worse now than it was before. At low tide there is about a 9" drop off and Pauls trailer grounded out, luckily we had enough depth to push Neo off. I think someone needs to write on behalf of the club.

Anyway 1/2 an hour saw 8 mullett over the gunnels and on our way down the harbour and back on went the waders so I could push Neo again to get her off the shallows.

Oh by the way Sam I think they were thin lips, then again they could have been blennies!!! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

It was a bit choppy but drifting for Wrasse then anchored for bream and also getting our quota of Macki on our baits!

It was getting a bit quiet so decided to head over to Xray. And you know how it is, get to your mark, then spend about 10 - 15 minutes manuvering over that slight bump on your sounder, drop the anchor, pull it back up, try again etc etc.

Then there is the Paul Dorr method, a meticulous skipper..... Oh this looks Ok in line with a couple of other boats, anchor gone, baits over the side. Well I'm converted, we had a haul, rays, doggies, bream, Gurnard ( and a 3lb beauty that kicked back all the way up) we also had Tope. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

A last minute move also saw the last couple of bream to max out.

A great day when I learned loads about navigation wink.gif

Thanks Paul

Oh yes I had 98 points

Paul was that why you left wrasse before my quota wink.gif

Slightly better trip report than my initial effort !

A few points missing form Gordon's report......

I learnt plenty on how to catch the mullet using a spinner. I have tried on and off using this method to no avail for the past 5 years ! - 30 minutes and we have caught 8 mullet and that was sharing the same rod ! I shall dfinitely be doing that again - thanks for the teaching Gordon.

Best part was catching my first on my first cast just as Gordon was saying "You will probably be better off over there ...." smile.gif

Then "Off to the ledge" but not before drifting out of the channel and running aground in Christchurch where the tide was incredibly low ( I think the wind was holding back the tide ).

I should have twigged it was rough out as I received a radio call from Dawn Raider stating that it was rough on the ledge and they were moving. ( If James says it is rough then it MUST BE rolleyes.gif ). Reaching the ledge and I was feeling a bit sick ( late night before watching Coldplay not helping ).

Got 2 wrasse and Gordon had one wrasse. I was ahead so we moved ( only kidding ! ). It was rough and we could do with something different so headed for Southbourne Rough. Oberon was sitting on "my" mark so went to one close by that Charlie had given me. Got mackeral and some small bream then decided to move to X-Ray.

No James and apparently he had not much luck there, so decided to drop anchor in line with two other charter boats. ( As Gordon says, why faf around when the bottom is pretty flat anyhow ! ).

Good choice as we hit a purple patch. Went from having 3 species to 7 species on the one mark. Caught a nice ray ( spotted ? ) on first drop, then had a tope but no doggies ( yet ). Was wondering if we would ever get a doggie - please I want a dogfish and after what seemed an eternity they came along.

Meanwhile Gordon caught a HUGE Gurnard ( well seemed huge to me. ) I was watching it come up, net in hand and when I saw it I was so impressed I put the net away and then remembered it would be a good idea to net it for Gordon !

Saw 2 landing craft heading for Poole and a tornado circling the Isle of Wight and then headed back to Wick, stopping at the ledge for one last attempt at the wrasse, but the ledge was full of weed.

Stopped with marineboy for one loast crack at the mullet but there was too much boat traffic and the tide was all wrong, so headed back to Wick.

Retrieval was non-eventful. Saw another fishing boat there and gave them a club card and if you are reading this your box load of bream were all way too small to keep ...... !

Good day and good company.

Oh and Gordon caught a lovely Edible crab.

I am certainly not an expert in spinning for them. What I do know though is that the method doesn't necessarily work in other places. Strange but true.

Therefore, it is possible that spinning for them doesn't work in Poole Harbour - Is this true ?