Rips - Again?

Adam F

Well, I found the trip on Saturday a real experiance. Previously I didnt think that it was possible for a 16' boat to fish 20-25 miles offshore near the middle of the English Channel!

It showed that a bit of planning to cover the risks invloved (a number of boats, a good forecast and plenty of saftey gear) could make this possible. Whilst this is on the very upper limit of operating range for me and BW, I would certianly like to repeat the trip this year whilst the Cod are still around.

When do they go? Is anyone else up for making another voyage out there in the next few months??

Like Adam, I really enjoyed the trip to the Rips ; the experience and the learning curve with Duncan made me want to go again.......

.......and this coming weekend looks promising !!!

My brother is trailing his Boston Whaler down and seems confident of the range for a trip out there , on a calm sea. [ and Metcheck is guessing 0 mph , early in the morning ....... I wish !!]

If anyone else might be going , then 'safety in numbers' is a big boost to confidence.

Could someone PM the numbers to me , for where we were on the Rips ?? I only noted how far South we were , not the Latitude.

We kept drifting the same spot; would it be worth drifting further ....... don't the Rips go a few miles ??

Anyone able to recommend where [ locally to Bournemouth / Christchurch ] I can pick up a few packs of those orange , weighted shads ...... they seemed to outfish others on Sat. ??

Cheers,

Alun.

Alun - I can let you have the numbers for the edges of both banks we fished but not until v late Friday night (if required for early Sat) or Sat morning if not needed 'till Sunday! Other may have access to the numbers before then!

With regard to colours how did others score? We certainly found that a bright orangy pink shad outfished the white (0 fish) or mackerel coloured (1 take 0 fish) both on the rips and on the Sky Friday evening. We didn't try worms or eel rubbers on either. If I could only take one colour it would be orange and probably the 6" version. The cod we caught coughed up a scad of about 6-7 inches.

Re running out again - I will struggle to get a pass but might manage a very early run one Sunday morning ie back by 1100h. I would definitely want to have the livebait well rigged next time too.

On Maverick 4 cod were had to the orange / yellow coloured stormies. 0 fish to the white ones and stripey coloured ones. ( fortunately I lost all three of my white ones in consecutive drifts smile.gif ).

1 cod to hockeye feathers intended for mackeral ( Some people eh ! )

Adam

I too thoroughly enjoyed the experience and am up for another foray. It is certainly one heck of a learning curve but good fun with it. As we pogress and get more familiar with the ground our returns should also increase...shouldn't they tongue.gif If we get another settled spell I'll be there smile.gif

Bye the way I had cod for tea tonight and very nice it was to

Martin

We had pollack yesterday and ray [aka skate ] tonight ...........

.....nearest and dearest said how much she enjoyed the thick, white flakey pollack [very cod - like]........... the big ones seem better eating than the more usual 3 lb-ers.

..... the ray is still too fresh.......... and undulate not as tastey as thornback.... but a lot less slimey and prickley !!

Bon Apetite....!!

Alun.

paul i want a faster boat ive been doing work experience at salterns and after driving a 33' windy with twin 400 doing 45 knots gw doesnt seem the same and it would make it easier to get to the rips.

if you go again i would love to come i have never been and desperate to go.

sam

So who is heading out to the rips this weekend ?

Similar height of tide, floods through the afternoon so no need for silly start times, and a better forecast than last week!

or is everyone working out how much fuel adn anchor line they would need for the hurd deeps??? huh.gif

I wouldnt mind - this will be my last weekend for 3 weeks as Im off on holiday.

The wind is looking a little fresh at the moment though??

What are the tides? The fuel I used aint actually that bad. Split between 2 if us it is only

I think the lads have done well with orange tiger twin tails.....give these a try..theyre cheaper to lose than stormies!!! If anyone needs crew, I MAY be available...bloody work!!! It gets in the way!! If you are coming home early Duncan, I would be up to crew for you if you need someone, I'd get away with that!

Rich

Hi all I read with interest what lures were used at the rips and their sizes and colours

can I ask how you were fishing them and at what speed of retrieve if they were used flying collar style.

I know how to use the traditional ones, but do not use the newer ones often enough to remember the methods for shads, storm shads and storm sandeels. twintails etc

is it faster or slower retrieve for the shads

or even the hopper method.

perhaps someone could start a new topic and educate those of us set in the old ways.

I have the lures, but am not confident that I am fishing them correctly. so after a while I usually revert to tried and tested redgills etc

Charlie biggrin.gif

Charlie - Good question....

Basically they are fished the same as Redgills. A 'flying collar' rig is used - which consists of a long boom (tube, french etc) about 12" long - this keeps the long trace from tangling with the main line.

The trace length does vary though. For the leadhead shads (Stormies etc) fished traditioanlly, a 8-15' trace is used and they are fish like a gill. Drop down to the bottom and retreave at a medium slow pace about 20-40 turns depending on the depth of water. This method is generally used for Pollock as they swim higher in the water than the cod.

Twin Tails and the other rubbers (inc shads as well) for cod are fished hopper style. A very short - 2-4' trace is used and the rig is literally 'hopped' across the bottom. I.e - tap down and then lift and bounce, maintaining contact each 2/3 strokes with the wreck or seabed - this tends to bring the cod.

Hope this helps.