wick slipway

Graham Nash

I am so excited about getting out and about this year Im compiling a list of the slipways I can use to try to keep my fuel costs down a little while exploring some different spots.

I was walking around Christchurch today and Wick looks like a candidate for my I.O.W trips. It mentions it can only be used at high water, does anyone have any experience of this slip? Id guess Id probably prefer to use it at smaller tides and get there very early. Whats it like in the summer? 

I know about the moving channel at Mudeford so would take extra care there.

Any comments would be gratefully received..

Wick slip is best used on higher parts of the tide due to the fact it’s not a long slip and has a drop off if you go to far down it.
It’s also surprising step and quite easy to light your tyres up if your boat is heavy.
Alun uses the slip at Mudeford and would be able to advise on its use, and would save 20 minutes traveling through the harbour

I used Wick for years and always found it most hospitable with plenty of parking and quite enjoyed the ride down the river to the entrance. It has the added advantage of giving your engine a flush in fresh water. Watch the channel and yes, the entrance can be challenging but, during the summer, it is normally well and reliably marked. Alun is obviously the meister on the entrance and yes, he uses Mudeford slip which is only a few yards from the entrance.

Terry.

I didn't even realise there was a pubic slip at Mudeford. 

Ill have a look. 

11 hours ago, plaicemat said:

I used Wick for years and always found it most hospitable with plenty of parking and quite enjoyed the ride down the river to the entrance. It has the added advantage of giving your engine a flush in fresh water. Watch the channel and yes, the entrance can be challenging but, during the summer, it is normally well and reliably marked. Alun is obviously the meister on the entrance and yes, he uses Mudeford slip which is only a few yards from the entrance.

Terry.

I must be honest, I quite like the engine getting a free flush on my way up Wareham River after every trip, and it also gives my fishing partner of the day plenty of time to give us a tidy up and wash down on the way back. so having the same at Christchurch is a bonus.