refreshing antifoul

Graham Nash

Good morning, my boat is moored up wareham river which (it would seem) is relatively fresh water. I antifouled it a couple of years ago and it has been in the water since. Most small boat owners said at the time that they only do theirs every 3 or 4 years because of the lack of need.

My boat is out of the water at the moment and they are right, there is no build up on the hull and it looks pretty good. However, while its out I'm considering refreshing it again.

Do I need to remove the old stuff first (because that will be the deal breaker as to whether it gets done again or not).

Many thanks.

No need to take it off Graham

we would usually rub it flat and make sure there are no flaky bits , then give it one coat all over.

Good to use the same brand of paint if you can.

A couple of things to be careful of;

1. The sacrificial anodes, fresh water ones are not zinc. Which is the usual material.

2. The water system will be full of fresh water not sea water and the freezing point is much lower. system may need to be drained or run in an antifreeze mix.

3 hours ago, great white said:

No need to take it off Graham

we would usually rub it flat and make sure there are no flaky bits , then give it one coat all over.

Good to use the same brand of paint if you can.

A couple of things to be careful of;

1. The sacrificial anodes, fresh water ones are not zinc. Which is the usual material.

2. The water system will be full of fresh water not sea water and the freezing point is much lower. system may need to be drained or run in an antifreeze mix.

Im not sure I have any anodes Charlie, the outboard is tilted out of the water once I moor up and the power is disconnected completely (do I need one)?

On 3/8/2022 at 9:07 PM, Brian said:

My motor has an anode under the mounting bracket, which is always in the water. There are also anodes in the water jacket.

yes you're absolutely right. I have a large one under the mount, and two beneath the skeg. Mike (Fishermans Cafe) explained their purpose while I was devouring a large breakfast this morning :-)