Burnham Comp 29th

Adam F

Well you guys fishing have got a FANTASTIC forecast for Sunday smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

NO WIND!!!! biggrin.gif SUNNY !!!!! WARM!!!!!

I am very jealous having no boat at the moment and a weak back as well sad.gif but I hope you all have a great time on what looks like a perfect day. smile.gif

Mad Mike

PS. New boat arrives Sunday 19th June. Expect 6 weeks of storm 10 with hail to follow sad.gif

Wow what a good show- 53 entrants- well done Adam for another successful event.

Fishing Wasn't great although We did get the winning Fish on board- Well done Rich, you also deserve an Award for the breakfast!

Highlight of my fishing was a squid of about a pound

Paul J

A great day, thanks for arranging the comp Adam.

Although fish could have been a little better, but a spotted ray for my species collection isn't bad. Just a little tired (only slept for little under 4 hours last night), oh nearly got ran over by 2 twats on theeir

Well, the seven P's certainly came to produce the fruits this sunday!! With the launch on friday, a few hours for the bream not showing up any clonkers, we decided to go to deeper water and try for that something a little more special during this comp. After arriving at Baiter, and seeing all the boats in the water, I was well chuffed with the turn out for the return leg of this, now hopefully, annual Burnham V Poole Bay specimen challenge. Collected the two buddy boats and decided a westward steam was on the cards, passing old Harry, the scene was more like the collection of the little ships on the Dunquerque run!

With the makerel Meister in full swing on Loyal Royal, we soon had enough bait to share with our Buddy Boats.......was this the shape of things to come? Passing the car park some call dancing ledge...we found our mark, and set down the anchor in 175 feet of water. Baits down....and wait! And wait....and wait!

Nothing except doggies....so I decided on a midmorning snack, of venison sausages, wild boar sausages, kidney, black pudding, goose egg...all atop a doorstep of frsh bread.....I do like to look after my skipper!! Mid fry, the rod tip goes burko.....off goes the gas...on slides the match winning Bully!! After a great scrap, Mark netted the Bull Huss, which we thought was close to 13lbs, when weighed at sea. A decent specimen, great eating, so he went into the fish box. Not a lot else showing, a few good fish dropped baits, a change of mark didnt produce a ray, so back to the weigh in. The Bully went 11 1/2 lbs, and won me the day...thanks to Adam for organising the return, and Mark and PJ for thier parts in the proceedings. Great to see the burnham lads collecting prizes with fish they dont generaly catch back in the murk of the Bristol Channel!

Rich......prior preparation and planning DOES prevent pretty poor performance wink.gif

Guest Pete the chair

ADAM, THANKS FOR A GREAT DAY. WE ALL GOT BACK SAFELY.THANKS TO ALL THE GUYS WHO LOOKED AFTER THE BURNHAM BOATS AJOB WELL DONE. IT IS NICE TO KNOW A GREAT CLUB LIKE YOURS.

KEEP IN TOUCH

PETE "VICOUE" CHAIRMAN BURNHAM BOATS

Nice one!! That's Dave and his crew on Sea Sprite. I was their Buddy Boat for the day.

Dave had a interesting day. He caught Bream, LSD, Wrasse, Garfish, but also should have got the prize for the biggest catch of the day...a large boat with a crew of seven that were adrift!!! ohmy.gif The engine had cut out and they did not have enough rope for the anchor to hold. ph34r.gifph34r.gifblink.gif

Whilst at anchor at Ballard this boat drifted past heading towards the rocks. Luckily, Dave and his crew managed to throw a rope to them and hang onto them. He then tried calling Portland Coastguard for assistance, but couldn't get a reception because they were tucked under the cliff.

Luckily, we exchanged mobile phone numbers before we set out, and Dave was able to call me on the mobile and ask for help. I was a couple of miles away at anchor and it would've taken me a while to get there, so I called the Coastguard and asked them to put a call out for any boats in the area to assist. They duely did, and a nice big motor board was kind enough to come to the rescue and towed the boat back to Cobbs.

Dave was kind enough to phone me today and thanked me for a great day out and for helping out in a difficult situation. It was not nice having to hang on to big boat with seven very worried and inexperienced crew on board. Panic was starting to set in. I think Dave was a bit shook up by the potential of the incident, but thankfully all was well in the end.

BF

...oh, and little Rob beat me in the fishing stakes on the day.

He caught Pouting, Mackerel, tons of LSD's (one of which was 2lb 6oz which was just out side the prizes), and his first ever Rays, two smalled-eyed that were 5lb and 5lb 2oz. To say he was chuffed would be an understatement. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

The Rays were caught at my favourite Small-Eyed Ray spot. You know the spot I mean, Charlie. wink.gif The place where I took you once and which you were not optimistic about (to say the least) but which quickly produced the goods, if you remember...

I only caught Pout, Mackerel, LSD and Bream. weep.gif

BF

I saw the incident from about 30ft away. The boat in question did seem to have a nice looking anchor, unfortunately it didn't seem to reach the bottom.

The cruiser still had the boat in tow next to the ro ro terminal about two hours later.

Looking at the state of the casualty it definately looked like a case of too much maintainance dry.gif

Glad the incident came to a safe conclusion

Nice to know that we are all out there looking out for each other.

I think I know where you mean Bob, but you could PM me to remind me. I presume its where you and Mark were after I suggested the area and thought you were in the wrong place.

Shows what experiance brings. NOWT

Glad you had a good day biggrin.gif , Shame Robert just missed the prizes but who wants to win with doggies wink.gifwink.gif

Tight lines

Charlie