Any solicitors in the club?

Newboy

Just wanna know has the money laundering law been updated since mar 2019?

Not that I have anything to hide ( maybe from the missus😁).

In the process of buying a house, the solicitor involves is being very "thorough", instead of just checking the fund is all legal, she's going thru everything with a fine tooth comb. I last bought a house back in mar 19 and the solicitor we used wasn't like that.

Confirmed. My wife isnt a conveyancer, but she asked the team, and they said that there is no significant change they are aware of. But liability of failure to identify money laundering falls on the solicitor, so maybe they are being monitored for another infringement and are trying to make sure they appear squeaky clean. Or perhaps some of the involved parties have triggered scrutiny because they have a similar name to someone of interest!

Thank you for the reply.

Put it this way, you wouldn't want her to be your tax inspector.

She wanted original bank statements, no pdf, no printout. Who has paper statements nowadays? Money trail going back 4 properties........

I rang the auctioneer who recommended her firm, complained to him about her, i think he'd spoken to her firm and she now needs fewer paperwork and much more accommodating.

At least it's sorted out now, was losing sleep worrying I might be kissing my 32k deposit goodbye

On 11/26/2020 at 4:25 PM, Death Trap II said:

Confirmed. My wife isnt a conveyancer, but she asked the team, and they said that there is no significant change they are aware of. But liability of failure to identify money laundering falls on the solicitor, so maybe they are being monitored for another infringement and are trying to make sure they appear squeaky clean. Or perhaps some of the involved parties have triggered scrutiny because they have a similar name to someone of interest!

Agree with this. Mrs135 is also a solicitor, and she's said the same. It's likely to be the firm in question putting on a good show for whatever reason.

Glad it's all sorted itself out in the end though.