Fly Fishing

Sam

hi guys

i have been watching some videos that terry [plaicemat] lent me and i find them interesting and helpful, i was wondering if anyone had a spare rod[ containing line] which i could borrow so i could have a practice.

and also is there anywhere close to poole were i could go to have a go?

what do i do about licences, do i need a rod license, do i need a license to fish the lake?

sam

Sam,

I have a rod with line that you are more than welcome to borrow. Try practicing in a field without a hook on the end to start. ( and when you do fish with a hook wear a hat and glasses as it is easy when learning to put the fly right in the back of your head/eyes smile.gif ( actually is probably not that bad as I have survived and as you know if there is a possibility of injury / mishap then I am your man !! )

Sam, I would echo pauls suggestion of a quick flick in a field, prior to actually casting on water. When actually casting on water, its easier to see the line thatt your cast actually takes........you are aiming for a straight drop of line, and a gentle drop of the tippet, leaving the fly, light as a feather to drop naturaly onto the water surface.......this isnt always neccessary when fishing into salt water, but its a very good casting technique to get into.

I am just off down to the river to get a tree out, so will ask my friend Ron Wilton if I can take you down to his River. He is an excellent instructor, but is getting on in years, and doesnt suffer fools!! Ask your dad what that means. wink.gif

I have your home number, so will telephone this evening when I return, or get straight in touch with your dad, ok??

Rich

paul i would love to borrow a rod thanks. yeah i have been watching the videos and he said exactly the same as you said about the hat, glasses and practising on a field.

ok rich thanks for that, look forward to hearing from you

sam

Don't use a good line on grass or you will damage it, ok if your using a cheap line which i can give you. It's actually more difficult than fishing in water cause theres no drag to load the rod.

Get your waders on a go out at baiter or evening hill that way you don't have to worry about hitting people with your back cast.

Hat and glasses are a must!

Bob, if you want to schedule it in i'll do a quick demo at one of the meetings.

Paul J

One other saftey point

If your right handed you want to cast with the wind over your left shoulder.

This sends the line and hook away from you rather than coming towards your face on the back stroke.

Very important when its windy which is most of the time when in the Saltwater

Paul J

Sam, I was invited to dinner with Mr Ron Wilton last saturday, he looks after a stretch of the Itchen, just outside Eastliegh. While he was four fiths through a bottle of single malt, I tackled him about you and Charlie coming over to learn the craft. He is more than willing to give you both instruction, so we just need to address when you can both come over. I spoke to your Dad yesterday, so he is aware. Let me know when you are able to come over, I'll speak to Ron again today, more trees to get out of the river prior to open season.

Rich

yeah thanks rich dad told me i think most likely it will be week after next because of the trailaway this sunday.

i will phone you closer the time.

yeah i was going to practice on grass i think paul d is lending me a rod?

sam

yeah i know i am keen yeah thats fine i just found out dad is working this saturday and if im allowed by dad i might take the dinghy with our little engine for a quick spin just to make sure its all right. hopefully dad will let me.

sam