Tuesday out with Valkyrie @ Hayling Island

Newboy

We were going for the conger comp on Weds the 2nd, but the forecast wasn't going to be any good, so Glenn just changed that to a wreck anchoring day to Tuesday.

I wasn't keen going for the congers as I didn't feel like hauling congers from the depth, so I only packed a 12lb for the breams and pollocks which I know can be good on these sort of trips, + a 6lb rod with shimano bait caster loaded with 12lb braid when the tide isn't to fierce.

As the wind was coming from the west we headed out sse towards France. After 2 1/2 hours of steaming we arrived at our chosen wreck, a quick drift when the skipper see which way to anchor, some anglers drifted with plastic and picked up a single pollock which was about 5lb.

Congers pretty much from the word go, nothing big, averaging about 25-30lbs. We only had a small box of squids so down with baited feather for some pouts for the conger bait. Mackerels were plenty and those who got down to the bottom without any hits managed to picked up bread as well as pouts.

Lots of breams but all around the 1 1/2 to 2 lbs, unlike a few weeks ago when they were all good size.

I fished with my small outfit pretty much all day long, using a single hook with a 6' flowing trace. Could I catch a bream? no, everyone on board were catching, 2, sometimes 3 breams on the baited feathers and other who used single set up like mine were catching. Did managed a few hook ups on congers, which the 12lb braid duly parted.

During the day, I managed a tope which were about 10lb, a bullhuss around 12-13lb, mackerels, pouts, a colourful cuckoo wrasse, scads, 4 pollockes (2 were huge, weighted the largest one back home a tad under 7kgs (gutted) on the luggage scale (which only had kg) so prob best part of a kg on top, one other slightly smaller, one around 10, the last about 5-6lbs).

It wasn't a bad day, we caught about 32 breams between the 5 (well 4, I couldn't catch a cold on dec morning) of us, over 40 congers, largest about 40lbs.

• 1 month later...