Deck Coverings?

Adam F

The sandard deck on the 165's is just plain fibreglass - whilst this is fairly tough and smooth to walk on, and non-slip is doesnt wear that well, esp. when you use the boat alot - things such as lead buckets and tackle boxes have a habit of scratching the deck.

I was looking at the bigger Warriors and notice that they have Treadmaster fitted. I have considered this, and whilst it looks very smart, and would achieve the finish I am after - it is blo%$dy expensive!

Just to be awkward, what is treadmaster?

I fyou only want something that doesn't slip and cheap, have you consider 'grit tape'?

They are the grippy black/grey stripe they put on steps to stop people from slipping. They wear quite well too if stuck on clean surface. The come in 50mm x18m roll (about

On past boats I've used a floor covering that is used behind the bars in pubs. It looks smooth but is actually rough to the touch. I've also seen it used in wet areas.

I've a bit left over here in the garage but not sure it would be enough to do your deck.

Go to a local flooring company and I'm sure that they'll be able to sort you some out. It'll be a fraction of the cost of Treadmaster.

On past boats I've used a floor covering that is used behind the bars in pubs. It looks smooth but is actually rough to the touch. I've also seen it used in wet areas.

That's the same principle as grit tape. It has grit moulded into the plastic. We use it in the kitchen of our shop. I think they come in 1.5mm and 3mm really good stuff, non slip as long as you don't wear trainers on them when wet, otherwise it can be quite slippery too.

Only one major complain from the chefs, they go thru shoes in treble quick time, as it wears the sole down really quick.

They are fairly reasonable too, no more than the cost of a good quality carpet.

PS. you have to glue it down.

Hi Adam

I have treadmaster on my foredeck, it has been on there 13 years and is as good as new. biggrin.gif

It is much friendlier on the feet in the summer than a gritted deck, we walk on it barefoot all the time when swimming off the boat with the kids.

I usually just scrub it off when I finish for the day, but it will take pressure washing as well.

If you can find a cheap source it is good gear, but be sure the deck is 100% sound, clean and dry before you put it on. and also check that the adhesive is in date if you get it from a cheap source.

It may be worth putting it on in several pieces and leave a gap or two of an inch or so wide front to back to help make it easy for the water to run aft, and easier to clean.

Not sure if it would stain if you left anchors and chain on it though.

Hope that is some help

Charlie biggrin.gif

Adam

You have seen my Warrior, I have the plastic block mat.

Works great as non slip for bits and pieces plus humans, easy to lift for cleaning, if you drop anything it stays in one of the holes to be picked up.

Pop round for a look see if you want, not sure where to get some as it came with the boat.

Coddy

cool.gif

Adam,

Talking to Paul at Warrior a while back, they get the Treadmaster for the 175 on a huge roll and it sounds like they cut a fair bit to waste. You could try asking the factory if they'll sell/donate you some offcuts? Don't forget to budget for the adhesive, it is expensive.

Steve

Thanks Steve - sounds like you have considered this on Lookfar?

Re. Adhesive, do I need to use the Treadmaster stuff?

Hi Adam,

Nope, I'm happy enough with my deck and anyway it just got resurfaced for other reasons. It was just one of those things, Paul mentioned that given the price of the stuff it'd be nice to be able to use the wastage.

As for the adhesive, sounds like Evostick does the business.

Steve