Swansea tidal lagoon

Stuie

just my 2 cents on this particular scheme

I hate these PR exercises where minimal facts are ever disclosed to the general public.It would be nice to see a breakdown of estimated costs

I have a little knowledge of this scheme proposal and just scratching the surface the following issues excluding the eco system ones exist.

What they don't mention is the cost of modifications needed to the surrounding infrastructure and the effect of historic heavy metal contaminants currently flowing down the river estuary that  will now settlle out in the bay due to the lagoon walls affecting the original tidal flushing flows in the bay.

The original plan totally enclosed the estuary which meant contamination of the lagoon that had been proposed as a watersport  recreational facility . They overcame this  problem by reducing the size of the lagoon so that the estuary flows could pass along side. Looks like they may have forgotten about the Sewage outfall that sits inside the lagoon.

Swansea sewage treatment works outfall currently sits dead centre of the proposed lagoon.

The existing works currently doesn't have sufficient power or physical room to increase the capacity of the outlet pump station to move the outfall another couple of miles out to sea..

The only option seems to be to treat all the flow through the works which means building another works alongside  to treat the diluted storm flows which will need to be at least  DOUBLE the existing works flow capacity.

As there is insufficient electrical supply available to carry out this process the Power Grid and Works Power infrastructure will need major upgrading at a cost of many millions of pounds . This will not be an easy operation as the works will need to be kept running during this time .

The majority of land surrounding the wastewater works has already been sold off for university accommodation buildings so a separate process works may have to built  elsewhere.

There are many hidden issues but the press release only concentrates on the base proposal of green energy via tidal flows.

I am an advocate of tidal energy generation however I think the general public should be made aware of localised issues that may or may not have been considered in the general proposals and report reviews.

Its one thing allocating a budget sum to overcome an issue at the outline design stage ,another to actually carry out the necessary work when the time comes.

And I was even before your time!

Early 70s and I joined mainly for the boat fishing trips out of Porlock etc. Only did a few beach comps and I'm not sure I ever caught a fish in them! LOL.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'll shut up now!