Specimen Undulate

Mike Fox

We'd caught a handful of small-eyed rays on Saturday on mackerel chunks, and I was looking for an undulate ray for the species comp.

Lat autumn I caught 3 squid of around 3' long, and I'd saved the heads for such an occasion. I split one down the middle to make a bait larger than my fist, and dropped it down the back in weakening tides.

The bait was picked up and dropped several times as I lifted into the nodding rod. I suspected they were small-eyed ray, which were too small and couldn't quite get it in their mouths. After about 10 minutes with no movement, the rod doubled over as something more substantial took it. Leaning into it, indicated something 2-3 times the size of the earlier rays.

I great tussle later saw the undulate ray appearing at the back of the boat, and George leant over the back and netted it, The boat was moving a fair bit, and weighing the fish indicated it might have been over 15lb, but in a lull in the motion, the scales settled on 14lb 4oz, so that's  my best for the year.

Mike

post-205-0-17922900-1468224391_thumb.jpg

Well done Mike,

what a great specimen. We call the Undulate the 'Indian Elephant Fish' The wings are the ears, the tail is the trunk, the male parts are the tusks. and the eyes are the eyes!!

With all the markings of the Undulate also resembles the Indian Elephants when decorated by their owners.

Anyway, back to work!!!!!!!!

Greg