Warp, rope, nets

Bob F

Just wanted to post this for future reference. From our old Phantom Fisher postings.

A supplier of warp, rope, nets, etc.

Gundry Marine Limited they are based in Bridport Tel: 01308 422222Unit 1 Foundry Lane, Bridport, Dorset, DT6 3RP

Gundry send a van to Fishermans Wharf on Poole Quay every Friday between 2-3pm where you can buy your rope and save postage costs. Best to call them first to makesure they've got what you want on the van.Look for a big white van with Gundry on it. A coil (220m) of 12mm Pot rope is

Paul

In your case I would buy a coil of 10 or 12mm rope (220 metres in coil) for your main anchor, 12mm would be more comfortable on the hands. Good quality potting rope as supplied by Gundrys is good enough or you could plump for anchorplait which will cost an arm and a leg but is very nice. You then of course need a painter and mooring lines, if you wwere going to moor your boat for long periods these should have a little stretch in them so good quality stuff here 12mm again would suffice as regards brand ask your dealer. Dont forget when mooring you need at least a bow and stern line plus 2 ropes set as springs. Another rope suitable for towing which could be your painter. Also desirable would be a spare anchor and rope.

I'm sure others will have their preferences regarding brands of rope and whats needed

Martin

I purchased a coil of the 12mm potting rope a couple of years ago. It does the job, but it's stiff and difficult to coil away.

If you can afford it, go for the softer ropes which coil better.

We rarely fish in more than 120 ft, so 360 ft of good quality 12mm anchor rope will be enough. I would then carry a length of the potting rope on the boat which I could attach to this if I'm in a situation where more length is needed.

In your case Paul, I guess you will not normally be fishing in more than 60ft, so you could get away with 180-200 ft of anchor rope.

BF

Paul,

All down to money really in the anchoring dept - agree with everything said re lengths and handling. Money no object I would be getting 100m / 12 mm octoplait spliced to 9m / 8mm chain to a 5kg delta anchor. Switching the anchor to a 5kg Claw/M/whitchever bruce copy will save the first fortune and substituting potting line for octoplait the second (but I really would do the first quickly and the second only after a long hard lok at the wallet).

Mooring/towing/rafting up lines for your boat would normally consist of 2 x 5m and 1 x 15m. Use 12mm 3 strand nylon and put a soft loop in the end of each around 1ft long with an eye spice and make good the other end with either a small length of heatshink tube, a back splice or a nice whipping rolleyes.gif In most circumstances you will be able to use just the 15m length - loop to pontoon cleat behind boat to boat stern to ponton mid to boat bow then made off to pontoon fore having positioned boat next to a cleat.....of course it never works that way but thats theory. Same goes for rafting up to another boat.

15m should work for a tow but in tough conditions or where a long fast tow is envisaged you would attach the 2 5m lenghts by loops to the loop of the 15m and you have a perfect bridle for the towing boat without the need to tie a knot.

Hope the painting goes well - got a lot done on Phaeton Saturday but the list seems never ending!