windlass

gjb

I have been looking at windlass with a capstan on top with this i can run all chain for inshore and use the capstan for bringing in the rope and chain if it can be fitted to the new boat waiting to hear i am confused dot com

I agree with Charlie's thoughts in the last post, both Allan and I have been trying to find a suitable windlass with both spools on one side and it would appear that there are very few if any available.

The problem as I see it with spools either side is swapping them over, especially with the tension when the anchor is 3/4 of the way up, and the angle of the warp and chain coming over the bow roller.

I have managed to source a combined chain and rope winch which has an optional capstan on the same side. I think they are made in Australia by Maxwell and imported by Golden Arrow Marine in Southampton which is part of the Salterns Group. The beauty of the VW model is that it can be mounted both vertically and horizontally. I am looking at mounting it horizontally. I have a couple of conerns about my proposed set up.

I did think about a side mounted Capstan, but a lot of strengthening and routing of chain/rope would be required and Iwould virtually lose one of the narrow walkways. As it is at the moment, it is necessary to take the rope off the bow roller and put it on a side cleat to use a buoy and recovery ring so nothing new in having to go up front which is not a problem as Fisheagle has deep all round walkways.

The bow roller and surrounding areas could be strenghtened and a stronger roller fitted. However, the amount of work involved would be similar to that needed to fit a self launching bow roller which could be used with a winch/combined capstan so I am moving in that direction.

I am sure there will be times when the ring and buoy will still be needed, especially in deeper water, but a new set up offers options. For example, I once found myself bream fishing early morning off the cave between Swanage and Old Harry. By the time we decided to move, we were surrounded by boats and could not use the buoy as there was no where to go. It may still be necessary for someone to go up front, but better than pulling up by hand.

The winch winch /capstan set up will not be cheap and were I a lot younger, I may not have bothered. Fisheagle's electrical system will allow for a third battery and the breakers are all 60 amps so I am told we should be ok there as the proposed winch/ capstan draws 100 amps.

At the moment, we are looking at options and nothing is decided. Any advice/thoughts/ help is more than welcome.

• 2 weeks later...