bulk braid

duncan

I know we had a thread last year on the top end braids, with the whiplash and fireline boys doing battle with words and technical specifications...... ph34r.gif

but I am simply looking to replace old mono on a number of FS and load a couple of spare multis so I am happy to compromise on line diameter/shape for quantity.... rolleyes.gif

Best I could find is 1000m / 20.9lb / 0.14mm / 29 squid

Anyone got a better suggestion hidden in their favorites?

On the contary - I have always used cheap braid (cos im tight!) and have been pretty happy with it. This year I have bought Whiplash for all my rods and to be honest I prefer the cheapish braid from the tackle bargins link.

Adam

thanks Adam

I think I had some samples of this adn the Ghost green was the tightest but they were all pretty loose weave.

However going though it all the new Climax micro braid at 19lb / o.o6mm looks very interesting (if you can find/see it!)

plaicemat - the link at the start of the thread is for the braid you refer to; and I also believe it to be the best 'bargin' braid offer out there as I posted.

martin - yep found myself chatting to him rolleyes.gif between beer in the Mariner and lunch in the Jazz Club next door. Thank you for the steer. Needless to say SWMBO was facinated as to why I needed so much sewing thread and singularily unimpressed by the saving I had negotiated!

I Have dug out 2 of my largish reels for wreck work and plan to put braid on them.I have used all through wire before but not braid, Couple of dummy questions please,do I need to fill the whole spool with braid or can I just have a top layer. 2 If top layer,how much is enough,for our type of fishing.3 will 30lb be about right. Thanks in anticipation. Jack

1. No

2. Depends on the depth and what you are fishing for - generally I would load 150m of heavier braid over another 200m of cheap nylon backing line.

3. Match to rod plus about 10lb but if fishing lighter/thinner braids then about 20ft of hard nylon leader will help tackle losses. I aim to use 23lb on a 15lb rod; 60lb on a 50lb rod and 35 on a 30lb one. 30-40 is common but many use 60-80 for conger!