New VHF (class d) purchase

Hooky

I have only had a hand held VHF on my boat in the belief I never ventured too far away from others or a repeater station.

Standard Horizon hx751, a superb radio, it has been ducked, dunked and abused over the last three years, it still works fine, surprisingly the range can be 8 miles tx which upto this month is all I ever needed.

Things change, I have now got the confidence and knowledge to venture far further out, upto 35- 50 miles is on the cards in perfect conditions, I'm not sure the range of a mobile phone (???) but you can be sure Sod's law will happen , it's a damn long trip getting back on a 4hp aux !

After much googling I decided I had to get a new DSC class D , a huge selection at a time when the funds were very low, add to that a new twig ( with high db gain ) here goes another £300 plus ( or so I thought )

Sometimes you get lucky , a brand new Standard Horizon DSC gx1100e was found , £70.00 add the new twig and now I have spent the grand total of £90.00 , all eBay again !!

With a (theoretical) range of 30 miles my West Bay wreck trip and others are now a definite, 😎

At what price Safety? Bargain of the year I think.

So that's it, it's been a bit of a struggle getting my old boat how I wanted it all ready to go, back ups etc etc .

Now all I need is a day off in good weather 😖 it's been emotional.

post-1523-0-85737800-1431359771_thumb.jpg

The radio is you friend when your on a long trip, it gives you that peace of mind that help is not far away should something go Pete Tong,  wise decision Hooky.

I will rest peacefully in the knowledge your safe when your out on that big bad sea far far away.

Your new safety officer.

Mal  :D  :D  :D

Thanks all, yes, all sorted with mmsi and new ofcom ship licence , it's been a interesting evening reading about setting it up and programming in the numbers etc etc etc NOT!!!!

So off to do the cg66 thing , errrr missed that bit !